Problem in Spelling

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:13 am
Hi all,
Today I want to share with you a small problem that I always face in writing (of course in English ) the problem's name is SPELLING. To tell you the truth, I am really bad in memorizing the words. In fact, usually, when we are expecting a writing test, I start memorizing the most frequent words that I could use in the test just the day before that test. Yet, as you can notice, it is a temporary solution for my problem. I would be really grateful if I can get some pieces of advice from you. All what I want is a good method that I can follow to improve my spelling.

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:55 am
English spelling is insane. There is no more polite way to rephrase that. Unfortunately, there is no royal road to learning how to spell. Once you get in the habit of writing in English on a daily basis, it becomes somewhat easier. But you do need a good memory; there is no logic to it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:19 am
One thing that I had to do after I had a stroke was to begin spelling in my head.
Alot of times, when I would say, write, or think about something , I would take a second to spell every word in my head. Over and over again.

It has helped . I can see it in my latest posts, and in my every day writting.

Practice makes perfect.
And you can practice in your head as well as on paper.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:57 am
As stated, memorization is the only way, and even that is not sufficient. I, for example, at the age of seventy-eight am never comfortable writing "address", not knowing whether there should be one or two "d's". I have always had a mental block which I can't break through.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
"Southern" English... uggg!!

Like Merry Said, English spelling is insane, add to that a dialect that skips half the syllables, rotates vowels, and uses many made up words, lack of or added suffixes or prefixes....spelling becomes a major chore.

Except = Egsep..which is usually shortened to "sep" in verbal use, for a little added emphasis, we throw "N" on the end....She took everything sep'n the dog house.

Accept and Expect are normally chopped and cropped the same ways.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:07 am
Sounds like a modern dictionary might be of use. :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:09 am
2packs -- if you're from Missouri, you should know that it should read, "she took ev'thang sep'n the dawghouse." Smile
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:06 pm
Heh, yep....needs a bit of drawl on the dawg though....dawwwg, and the ever present bass octave shift, muddled in there among the "a" and the w's, that's what gives it the distinct West Texas/Ok/Mo ring.

Another word I can never get right off the bat is Tomorrow....2 m's...2 r's...?

pronounced ...Ta marra
0 Replies