Hoping For Some Input....

snood

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:04 am
msolga wrote:
Thank you for that response, snood.

I really feel for the soldiers (just young people, like all the rest) who are put in such terrible circumstances ... mostly simply to make a living.

I really think MA should think a little more before posting topics couched in this way. No wonder people get so upset!

I think she should, and I bet she would agree she should - in fact I'm pretty sure she knows she should....

its just hard for me to stay as mad at her as some seem to...

Rex, Rex, Rex - what am I going to do with you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 04:53 am
Re: Hoping For Some Input....
Msolga Wrote:
Quote:

The problem for me, in terms of the introductory post to this thread is this:
There are really two different aspects to respond to.

What Does Freedom Mean To You? is one question. (Which probably belongs in the Philosophy forum?)

Then there's this: Many fine men and women have been stationed overseas, ready to fight for this nation and sacrifice all for you and me. The troops are ready to rise when called upon to any operation , most with very little rest. Here at home ,we walk freely, enjoying the best life has to offer. So support our troops and give them your heartfelt thanks. Let them know that you are grateful for protecting your freedom, your safety and all that America stands for. What does freedom mean to you?

This has little to do with the original define freedom question. In fact it defines freedom in a totally unacceptable way to me. This statement is about supporting US troops. I have absolutely no problem in hoping for the safe return of US troops. Their government has put them in a very tough & dangerous situation in Iraq, for (to many of us) highly dubious reasons. They have no choice about being there. It is part of their job.

To talk of their circumstances in terms of "what freedom means to you" seems bizarre to me. Perhaps, if they had the choice, many of the troops would choose to get out of Iraq. Pronto! And who could blame them?

I posted this originally in the General Column, Msolga. I am sure the Moderators will be happy to confirm that. Osso has already said that she had seen it there originally. Msolga, you did not have to post in this thread at all. You could have just let it go. This would have all been over on the 4th of July if you and others would have just let it go.

Now, I have sent proof to you about this post and what it was intended for. I am sorry that you cannot understand that I told it exactly as it was.

It may seem bizarre to you but it doesn't seem bizarre to everyone. To some, especially those who are United States citizens and live in this country, this is not bizarre, it is the way we feel and we shouldn't be made to feel like we should apologize for it because, for myself, I won't. And yes, there are those totally opposed to it all and that is their right.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:55 am
Arella,
Do you understand that the difficulty for some comes when you ask "what does freedom mean to you", and make a connection between the "freedom" you're asking about, and this Iraq war?

I would guess everybody has some concept of 'freedom', but everybody doesn't think the war in Iraq has anything to do with that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:03 am
I completely understand that some have a problem with it.

But, everyone knew what I was asking. If they had a problem with it, they could have just let it go. This thread would probably have died after 3 or 4 pages. It's up to 35 now. Go figure.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 11:09 am
You know why.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:25 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Msolga Wrote:
Quote:

What Does Freedom Mean To You? is one question. (Which probably belongs in the Philosophy forum?)

Then there's this: Many fine men and women have been stationed overseas, ready to fight for this nation and sacrifice all for you and me. The troops are ready to rise when called upon to any operation , most with very little rest. Here at home ,we walk freely, enjoying the best life has to offer. So support our troops and give them your heartfelt thanks. Let them know that you are grateful for protecting your freedom, your safety and all that America stands for. What does freedom mean to you?

This has little to do with the original define freedom question. In fact it defines freedom in a totally unacceptable way to me. This statement is about supporting US troops. I have absolutely no problem in hoping for the safe return of US troops. Their government has put them in a very tough & dangerous situation in Iraq, for (to many of us) highly dubious reasons. They have no choice about being there. It is part of their job.

To talk of their circumstances in terms of "what freedom means to you" seems bizarre to me. Perhaps, if they had the choice, many of the troops would choose to get out of Iraq. Pronto! And who could blame them?

I posted this originally in the General Column, Msolga. I am sure the Moderators will be happy to confirm that. Ossa has already said that she had seen it there originally. Msolga, you did not have to post in this thread at all. You could have just let it go. This would have all been over on the 4the of July if you and others would have just let it go.

Now, I have sent proof to you about this post and what it was intended for. I am sorry that you cannot understand that I told it exactly as it was.

It may seem bizarre to you but it doesn't seem bizarre to everyone. To some, especially those who are United States citizens and live in this country, this is not bizarre, it is the way we feel and we shouldn't be made to feel like we should apologize for it because, for myself, I won't. And yes, there are those totally opposed to it all and that is their right.

It's irrelevant whether it was posted under General, or Original Writing. It was a political thread.

I will respond to any post I choose to, just like anyone else here. In this case I responded because I felt that putting those 2 different ideas together was rather manipulative.

I read lots of A2KA political threads. I haven't the slightest doubt that there are many US A2Kers who see the bizarre aspect in this thread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:25 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Msolga Wrote:
Quote:

I posted this originally in the General Column, Msolga. I am sure the Moderators will be happy to confirm that. Ossa has already said that she had seen it there originally. Msolga, you did not have to post in this thread at all. You could have just let it go. This would have all been over on the 4the of July if you and others would have just let it go.

It's irrelevant whether it was posted under General, or Original Writing. It was a political thread.

I will respond to any post I choose to, just like anyone else here. In this case I responded because I felt that putting those 2 different ideas together was rather manipulative.

I read lots of A2K political threads. I haven't the slightest doubt that there are many US A2Kers who see the bizarre aspect in this thread.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:28 am
Msolga,

You have every right to post in whatever thread you please. That was not my point either.

I'm sorry you view it as a political thing. It wasn't political for me. But, you can be rest assured, this will not happen again.

And, did you even check out the proof, Msolga? Or shall I just forget you even implied I was lying about it?

I just want this all to stop, please. No more fighting or arguing. It's not helping anyone.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 02:29 am
Some people, naming no names, set the cat among the pigeons and then deplore the ensuing chaos.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:40 am
Indeed, Clary!

The "proof" being the PM you sent, MA?
I received one of those The page cannot be displayed messages. Not too worry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 05:48 am
While not intending to get into the fray, whole hog, I will say that one aspect of freedom is to be a responsible society, not inflicting unnecessary damage on other nations in an arbitrary way. To the extent we act irresponsibly, we bocome less the ideal, more the villain.
0 Replies