What's so great about America?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 09:28 pm
Re: What's so great about America?
yitwail wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

More nonsense. He said this is the only country in which he has been where people will call someone (who elsewhere is assumed to be a social inferior) sir or ma'am. Is it required that this be done in every nook and cranny of the country for it to be a valid statement? Is it required of D'Souza to point to this or that region? The fact remains that a large section of the country does precisely what D'Souza claims. His statement is valid with or without regional attribution.

by your logic, i can say America is a country in which people will not call waiters sir or ma'am, and be equally correct, since i'm not specifically claiming that Americans in every nook & cranny of the country never do so.

But of course you didn't write an op-ed piece which claimed this. You criticized one which said the opposite. Your criticism is not valid simply because it holds true in the few places with which you are familiar.

D'Sousa's comments require only that in a sizeable section of the country his contention holds true. (Requirement met). Your comments require that there not be any section of the US where his contention holds true (Requirement not met).

Quote:
If the Founders were religious men as D'Souza claims, they would hold the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God and therefore they would have scorned the accumulation of wealth.

no, that's not my tortured logic. I assume that a *Christian* pretty much has to regard the words attributed to Jesus in the Gospels as the inerrant word of God, but if I'm wrong about that, i stand corrected. Fundamentalists in addition extend this to every word of the Bible, especially the Old Testament.

Well, you stand corrected then because all Christians (and in fact I would argue most) do not believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. See how ignorance can be a detriment to clear thought?

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 09:46 pm
Letty wrote:
I would, Nick.

Finn, dear. Can't you think of a more eloquent word choice than "idiot"? That is soooooo trite.

Considering that "trite" means, in part, lacking the power to evoke interest and considering the reaction of Nickfun to my use of it, it's tough to agree that it is trite. Afterall, you felt compelled to enter the fray.

Never-the-less here are some alternatives. They may not all be eloquent, but hardly any of them can be considered overused:

1) Cretin - An idiot from the Alps and it's french in origin. Must be eloquent
2) Dunderhead
3) Halfwit, Dimwit, or Nitwit
4) Imbecile
5) Dolt
6) Harebrain
7) Nimrod
8) Pinhead
9) Tomfool
10 Simpleton
11) Twit - Funny but blatham recently considered use of this term to be something of a particularly onerous insult.

Take your pick (Excluding twit, don't want to offend blatham). Debating with Nickfun is like debating with any of them.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:30 pm
You may insult me until your eyes turn red Finn but the facts remain. We DID those things. Only you with your twisted mind would see otherwise. I am also a great believer that it is a dishonor to be praised by fools. Thanks for not praising me! It only furthers my point!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:45 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[quote="yitwail]
Quote:
If the Founders were religious men as D'Souza claims, they would hold the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God and therefore they would have scorned the accumulation of wealth.

no, that's not my tortured logic. I assume that a *Christian* pretty much has to regard the words attributed to Jesus in the Gospels as the inerrant word of God, but if I'm wrong about that, i stand corrected. Fundamentalists in addition extend this to every word of the Bible, especially the Old Testament.

Well, you stand corrected then because all Christians (and in fact I would argue most) do not believe the Bible is the inerrant Word of God. See how ignorance can be a detriment to clear thought?

[/quote]

no, you don't seem to understand, or deliberately disregard, the distinction i drew between the Bible & the Gospels. the Bible contains Old & New Testaments. the Gospels are the four books of the New Testament attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, which contain all the words Christians generally regard as having been spoken by Jesus. it is those words of Jesus in the Gospels which i supposed Christians regard as inerrant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 12:30 am
yitwail wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
[quote="yitwail]
Quote:

no, you don't seem to understand, or deliberately disregard, the distinction i drew between the Bible & the Gospels. the Bible contains Old & New Testaments. the Gospels are the four books of the New Testament attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, which contain all the words Christians generally regard as having been spoken by Jesus. it is those words of Jesus in the Gospels which i supposed Christians regard as inerrant.[/quote]

Well, you stated that if all Christians were not fundamentalist you stood corrected. They are not, and so you stand, by your own words, corrected, and yet you seem to still want to defend the comments that they acknowledged might be untrue.

Fine. I'm not sure why I expect an above average level of intelligence in A2K posters when they consistently disappoint me.

Yitwail, you have now joined Nickfun (or is it Finnic?) in irrelevance.

Spew on, but I, for one, will no longer engage you in your silly arguments.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Well, you stated that if all Christians were not fundamentalist you stood corrected. They are not, and so you stand, by your own words, corrected, and yet you seem to still want to defend the comments that they acknowledged might be untrue.

for the record, this is what i stated:

yitwail wrote:
I assume that a *Christian* pretty much has to regard the words attributed to Jesus in the Gospels as the inerrant word of God, but if I'm wrong about that, i stand corrected. Fundamentalists in addition extend this to every word of the Bible, especially the Old Testament.

the first sentence applies to Christians. the second in addition refers to Fundamentalists. thus, i distinguished between Christians in general & Fundamentalists in particular, so in no way did i claim that all Christians are Fundamentalists. but if you think i did, you need to go back to highschool and take some remedial English classes.

Quote:

Spew on, but I, for one, will no longer engage you in your silly arguments.

i'm certainly not going to bother discussing anything with someone who can't even read.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:03 am
Finn refuses to discuss when he can no longer formulate a coherent argument. It's much easier for him to simply insult the other person and refuse to argue the point further.
0 Replies