Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:49 am

Sun Jul 2, 11:12 PM ET

People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

The United States is no longer a symbol of hope to Britain and the British no longer have confidence in their transatlantic cousins to lead global affairs, according to the poll published in The Daily Telegraph.

The YouGov poll found that 77 percent of respondents disagreed with the statement that the US is "a beacon of hope for the world".

As Americans prepared to celebrate the 230th anniversary of their independence on Tuesday, the poll found that only 12 percent of Britons trust them to act wisely on the global stage. This is half the number who had faith in the Vietnam-scarred White House of 1975.

A massive 83 percent of those questioned said that the United States doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks.

With much of the worst criticism aimed at the US adminstration, the poll showed that 70 percent of Britons like Americans a lot or a little.

US President George W. Bush fared significantly worse, with just one percent rating him a "great leader" against 77 percent who deemed him a "pretty poor" or "terrible" leader.

More than two-thirds who offered an opinion said America is essentially an imperial power seeking world domination. And 81 per cent of those who took a view said President George W Bush hypocritically championed democracy as a cover for the pursuit of American self-interests.

US policy in Iraq was similarly derided, with only 24 percent saying they felt that the US military action there was helping to bring democracy to the country.

A spokesman for the American embassy said that the poll's findings were contradicted by its own surveys.

"We question the judgment of anyone who asserts the world would be a better place with Saddam still terrorizing his own nation and threatening people well beyond Iraq's borders," the paper quoted the unnamed spokesman as saying.

"With respect to the poll's assertions about American society, we bear some of the blame for not successfully communicating America's extraordinary dynamism.

"But frankly, so do you (the British press)."

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,397 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Tico

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 12:51 pm
Methinks the poll-takers have watched too much of The Sopranos.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:15 pm
Re: Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll
Reyn wrote:
People in Britain view the United States as a vulgar, crime-ridden society obsessed with money and led by an incompetent president whose Iraq policy is failing, according to a newspaper poll.

Hey, who are you calling "vulgar?"
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:18 pm
Re: Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll
Reyn wrote:

More than two-thirds who offered an opinion said America is essentially an imperial power seeking world domination. And 81 per cent of those who took a view said President George W Bush hypocritically championed democracy as a cover for the pursuit of American self-interests.

In answer to other questions, a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business.

source

This is truly remarkable, coming as it does from citizens of the former British Empire. How quickly they forget their own history!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:19 pm
I'm sick and tired of this Bits bitching about us! If they come over here I'm likely to beat the **** out of them and steal their wallets!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:25 pm
Any more talk like that from you colonials, and I'll bally well don my gloves and give you a damned good thrashing.

Now....back to work immediately.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:34 pm
But vulgarity is part of our charm!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:37 pm
D'artagnan, is this your tea break? Is it? Is it?... NO....then get back to work and do your bit for American dynamism.

If you're all VERY good, you can have the day off tomorrow.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:10 pm
The day before a national holiday is not one for hard work m'lord. Especially when it follows a weekend...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:19 pm
Dammit. I say we bomb them.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:24 pm
Lash wrote:

That is not only cruel, but vulgar as well.

USA! USA! USA! :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:46 pm
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

um. yeah. Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:47 pm
Lash wrote:
this is reasonable
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:47 pm
Lash wrote:
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

um. yeah. Very Happy
this is silly
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:49 pm
I'm trying to throw people off. I don't want them to think I'm too reasonable.

<I'm doing pretty damn good, too!>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:50 pm
Just like the last couple times you tried it, eh Lord E?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:50 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Any more talk like that from you colonials, and I'll bally well don my gloves and give you a damned good thrashing.

Now....back to work immediately.

That I can deal with! Good natured British irony and cheerful disagreement.

However where did this new, rather shrill, British self-righteousness (so evident in the cited poll results) come from? It appears to me that the UK public is criticizing us for some very time-honored British traits, some even more prominent today than in the past. Even the bit about "American policy in Iraq" was illustrative of this superlative hypocrisy - because the the UK chose to become part of this combined action - our policies are the same.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:57 pm
Quote:
I don't want them to think I'm too reasonable.
How can you be tooreasonable?

You a fanatical moderate or something?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 02:59 pm
Well happy 4th July you guys. And remember had George 3 not been mad we would have all been spared the current madness of George 2.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:00 pm
Seriously all the best
0 Replies