Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US: poll

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 06:55 am
Mercy buckets, Boss . . .

What do you boys and girls do to get up a patriotic party--does the Queen's birthday really fill the bill? The Canajuns have Canada (July 1st), and, of course, we have July 4th. The French have July 14th, and the Mexicans have May 5th (celebrates kicking French arse) . . .

So what do you folks do to get your patriotic jollies?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:06 am
I don't need no holidays for getting patriotic jollies: I get it every morning on subscription (besides Sundays, because then the true Patriot rests as the Lord told him):

http://www.stellenanzeigen.de/asp/ueberuns/kooperation/zeitungen/der_patriot.gif
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:11 am
Thats a very good question. Traditionally we have left such things to the colonials and newly independents to whistle and whoop once a year. We just feel quitely superior all the time[/i] :wink:

There is actually quite a debate going on about Britishness and what it means. The Scots and Irish and Welsh will soon tell you all the interminable stories on their national days...but the English (patron Saint St George...NO NOTHING TO DO WITH GWB...sT Georges day is 23rd April) ..we have always been somewhat reticent about flag waving. But with the world cup where it is an english not British or Scottish team playing, and the fact that Scotland has its own parliament and a host of other reasons, the native English are getting a bit restive. Sadly in the past the red cross on plain white flag of St George, which is the flag of England has been associated with far rightists. But recently "ordinary" people feel much more inclined to wave it. (Never felt that way myself but who knows..)

It is actually quite scandalous that 23rd April isnt even a holiday in England.

There is actually NO "England" celebratory day in UK. Many people want to put that right. But what day? Trafalgar Day? (v France 1805) World Cup day (v W Germany 1966). The problem is there are so many significant national events to celebrate England and Englishness, that we dont bother :wink:

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:38 pm
We should dedicate Fridays and Mondays as a celebration of Englishness except for those days which are already a holiday when we should have another day in lieu.
0 Replies