Losing Weight Rapidly Can Mess Up your Mind!

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:47 am
I lost almost sixty pounds in 5 months. I feel great but kinda too great. All I am hearing constantly from friends and people I meet is how beautiful and hot I am. Now, don't get me wrong, I am loving it but it is starting to go to my head. Keep in mind that I am still about 25 pounds from goal plus I am going to have some cosmetic procedures done. I just can't imagine how the world will deal with the new me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 801 • Replies: 14
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:16 pm
I'm ready for ya Roxxxy! Just knock on my door and I'll show ya the time of your life! I...never mind.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 06:58 am
Quote:
I just can't imagine how the world will deal with the new me!

I would be more concerned about how YOU will deal with the new you. There is a lot more to a great weight loss than buying smaller clothes. There is a psychological adaptation that one has to go through. Take it slowly, and understand that you may be beset by emotions that you don't quite understand.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:15 am
I remember when i started dropping alot of wieght, one of the things that hit me like a sledge hammer was the fact that I realized I couldnt 'eat' to hide emotions.
I was and still am an emotional eater. I eat when I am bored , when i want to celebrate, when I am entertaining guests, when I feel bad...

When I became aware of my weight and where it was coming from, I lost a big security blanket that left me feeling naked.

It felt great in the begining, and the same thing happened, I was getting compliments, I was able to wear some great clothes, and the attention was wonderful. I wanted to celebrate!

but..er.. celebrating ment eating. Ok, so I cant eat, what can I do?
Hmm.. cant do that, cant do this, oh gosh.. here comes a bit of depression .. better grab some ice cream

oh wait

cant do that either..

wtf?

It was , and still is at times confusing.

Losing weight makes for a huge life change, and if you do it right, you will be happier then you can imagine. Happier then you are even right now.

good luck at staying on track. And congratulations on getting where you are now!
It aint easy.. Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:19 am
Well done to you weight losers.I am currently in the fat boat trying to jump ship onto the slim canoe.
Did you guys lose weight by diet and exercise?
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:31 am
A good website for support in losing weight is www.sparkpeople.com. It is completely free. I'm not on it, but my aunt is and she swears it was a great help to her. I'm not sure what they have for post-weight loss support, but it might be worth checking out.

Also, if I might share my own experience. I recently lost 15 pounds in a month. That may not sound like a lot compared to 50+, but it was a lot for me because I wasn't that overweight to begin with. I lost it due to my psychological drugs, but then I became fixated, started weighing myself 15+ times daily, and even began skipping meals. I got a hold on it, and I have gained about 5 pounds back. But when I saw some old High School Friends at a Funeral for the first time in a few months, all they had to say was how beautiful I was because of the weight loss. Honestly, it made me feel like crap because I realized what they were taking note of was my depression, even though they didn't know it. I thought about how superficial people are, and I hated myself for being one of them. After that, I got my eating habits back on track. I didn't really get there completely till I chucked the zoloft.

I'm not suggesting that your experience was anything like that. All I am saying is that, no matter how healthy and wanted your weight loss is, or how unhealthy it is, there are going to be people who compliment it and you because (1) it is what they think you want to hear and (2) they are jealous. I'm not sure there is a secret to not letting this go to your head, except to remember that you are the same person now that you were 55lbs ago. People are going to see you as different because you will look different to them, but if you gently remind them that while your weight loss and cosmetic changes were an incredible positive in your life, they are not the only important thing. Let them know by your actions that you are still Roxy!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:55 am
Im not knocking anyone but it makes me angry when people say how beautiful you are once you are slim.
Thats like saying when you were bigger you were ugly and nothing!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
material girl wrote:
Im not knocking anyone but it makes me angry when people say how beautiful you are once you are slim.

That is exactly to what I am referring. Often there is often a great deal of anger that a newly slim person has, when people who would never give her a second look when she was heavier, start falling all over her.

The important thing is to hold onto a sense of what you are, and know that you are the same person, just with a different "packaging".
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

The important thing is to hold onto a sense of what you are, and know that you are the same person, just with a different "packaging". [/color][/b]

Thats what Ive done.Im aware Im bigger than I was but Im glad to say I have never found stick thin models to be anything to aspire to.
Maybe its my thickened skin(no pun intended)that has led me to get bigger.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I just can't imagine how the world will deal with the new me!

I would be more concerned about how YOU will deal with the new you. There is a lot more to a great weight loss than buying smaller clothes. There is a psychological adaptation that one has to go through. Take it slowly, and understand that you may be beset by emotions that you don't quite understand.

Implicit in that statement is the fact that I realize that I might take on characteristics that are hard to deal with, perhaps a sense of superiority and arrogance. I do recognize this.

It is a shame that society judges people, especially women, by how they look but it is a fact.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:23 am
danielljean-That site is good, has some helpful features.

Roxanne-I think most people would like to be complimented on the way they look,so many people have tried and not succeeded so you have a reason to feel good(almost superior) so soak it up, just dont let it go to your head.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
material girl wrote:

That is exactly to what I am referring. Often there is often a great deal of anger that a newly slim person has, when people who would never give her a second look when she was heavier, start falling all over her.

The important thing is to hold onto a sense of what you are, and know that you are the same person, just with a different "packaging".

In my case, I feel like my new outer package fits my inner self. I have an aura and an inner beauty that people recognized when I was overweight too. But I worked hard to get where I am. Along with everything else, I feel much better, have a lot more energy and am healthier. Weight Watchers is not about becoming a stick model.

One thing that is different about Weight Watchers is that you completely change your attitude about food. You learn to divorce yourself from the emotional aspects of food as well. You also learn how certain foods can trigger binges. You also do not have to deny yourself of anything, you just have less of it. Sunday, I had the Weight Watchers Chocolate Cake at Applebee's. I enjoyed eating that little slice of cake ten times more than ever did binging on a whole box of cookies or a half gallon of ice cream.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:27 am
Bookmarking as I head to the gym with Bear to start working on this extra "packaging."

At 43 I think I'm ready to get in shape for ME, not anyone else. Since my last baby is now 15, I don't have THAT excuse anymore. I've already learned that Bear will love me with or without a few extra pounds. I've overcome the like me or don't - if it's my weight then you're not much of a friend anyway kinda thinking.

Time to get in shape for myself, my health and so I can get out of feeling sluggish and tired all of the time.

I don't want to give up food, though. I think it's better to think of it as anything in moderation rather than depriving myself of what I like.

Just in case I'm wrong and I have to re-think my motives or need support, thanks for starting this thread and letting me bookmark.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:41 am
ust worked out my body mass index and i need to lose 18lbs to be in normal range.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:57 am
I need to shed about 10 pounds. Squinny -- how is Bear doing these days?
0 Replies