So this is how it starts...

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 12:30 pm
Actually, he is correct; the word 'there' is used incorrectly in the original posting, not spelled incorrectly.

No amount of calling people 'jackass' will keep you from feeling like a fool, I bet.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 04:16 pm
That's a hilarious quote from Obama in your sig line, Cyclop.

I'll have to file that one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 05:56 pm
Oh wow, I miss the word 'jackass', I'll have to start using that one more often.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:04 pm
Yeah, K!

.... Like describing someone as a "cad & a bounder"! I'm going to try & use that one more often, too!
0 Replies

paull

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:28 pm
"jackass" is the single best line from Happy Gilmore. It gets the job done.

One can only assume a grammatical rather than spelling error if the writer is assumed to know the correct way to spell the word, in this instance "they're".
Amigo just blew it out of ignorance.

You have to feel for him however, as he, and Cyclopt, seem to spend most of their time massaging their inner bard on this board. Ten posts a day for years. Are you guys elephant man ugly or just live in the far gone sticks? Roxxxanne at least posted his picture. Let us see what your afflictions are, please.

AND, Cyclopt, what's the source for that Obama quote? I won't count your reply in my statistics of the truly pathetic posters.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:32 pm
Aw, let it go, paull!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:41 pm
Quote:
Common Grammatical Error Pairs
their / there / they're

http://bio.classes.ucsc.edu/bio20L/info/writ/pairs.htm

Quote:
Common Grammar & Usage Errors
Their, They're, or There?

http://www.webgrammar.com/commonmistakes.html

You are still at the wrong end of the donkey paull. You really shouldn't stick your head so far up it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:44 pm
looks like aaron eckhert in (yawn) thank you for smoking.

you prating, jackassian bads and counders...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 06:45 pm
paull wrote:
AND, Cyclopt, what's the source for that Obama quote?

Call it a hunch, paull, but I would guess Obama is the source.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:04 pm
I've long been aware of the usage differences for the words there, their, and they're. Sometimes when I post fast and I read what I wrote later, I am dumbfounded by my making what I consider a grammatically primitive mistake, such as there for they're. I mean primitive in the sense that the distinction has been clear to me for decades, just as, say, the distinction between hear and here - it is as if I suddenly am tapping into my beginning elementary school mind. So, the error seems come through some sort of brain finger typing bypass route, for me. For others, perhaps grammar was never a strong point. I'll listen to ideas from people with imperfect grammar or spelling. Excellent use of language is a thing of beauty - but not always aligned with useful thought; imperfect language may be associated with an effort to express interesting ideas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 07:05 pm
I loved it when That 70s show brought 'dumbass' back into common usage....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 08:36 pm
A few years back The New York Times quoted a person who used the phrase "his half assed idea'' but censored another who used the phrase "he's an ass". It was later commented on that the Times thought half an ass was fine, but a whole ass was going to far.
0 Replies