I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING GERMANS.

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:18 pm
Here's how i did that Hamburger:

I went to the web site you posted, and hovering over the picture, i "right-clicked" it, and got a drop-down menu. At the bottom of the drop-down menu is the word "Properties." Clicking that word produced another page which gives a technical description of the picture, and about half-way down is "Address," which lists the URL of the picture. Holding down the left mouse button, i dragged it over the address to highlight, and then pointed to the highlighted area, and righ-clicked. This produces a small drop-down menu, from which i selected "copy," which copies that highlighted portion to your "clipboard."

Then i came back to this site, and this thread, and typed: "[IMG]" which is UBB code for "open the insert picture option," i then right-clicked immediately behind the last bracket (leaving no space) and selected "paste" from the drop-down menu, which copied the address of the picture from my clipboard to the "reply window" in which i was typing. I then typed "[/IMG]" immediately after that address, leaving no space, which is UBB code for "close the insert picutre option." When i hit "submit" for the reply, it puts my text on the page, but not the UBB code, rather, it puts the picture there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:21 pm
Here's how that looks when i disable the UBB code in this post:

http://www.deutsche-passagierschiffe.de/images/cap_arcona.jpg

Typing that with the UBB code enabled produces the picture in the text of your post. UBB code is enabled by default, so you don't have to worry about that when posting a picture.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:21 pm
hbg, You mean to tell me that all these years, I've lived with the wrong information on the Amber Room? How disheartening! c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 01:34 am
When you want to read (and see) more about the amber room, have a look at this website of the company, which financed the reconstruction:
The Amber Room

(I've seen the miniature version of this room some time ago. You can do so as well:

Museum of Miniatures Berlin
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:01 am
Walter, As always, Thank You, Sir Walter! However disappointed I am about the information provided us when we viewed the Amber Room, I'm still elated to have seen it during reconstruction. It shoud be considered one of the major wonders of the world. c.i.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:01 am
Walter, I very much like the miniatures. As to the Amber Room itself - yes, it is absolutely amazing. I am glad they reconstructed it.

Rae Embarrassed Embarrassed Love you too!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
here is the german government press release re. AMBER ROOM (i have to break it down since i'm too DUMM(stupid) to do it in one run. hbg........."Eighth Wonder of the World" ablaze in all its glory once more

On 31 May 2003, to conclude the tercentenary celebrations of the city of St Petersburg, Russian President Putin and Chancellor Schröder will ceremonially open to the public the legendary Amber Room. From 2 June, visitors to the Great Catherine Palace will be able to experience it for themselves. This work of art, so beautiful that it was famed as "the eighth wonder of the world", has a long history. In 1716, the Prussian King Wilhelm I presented the Russian Tsar Peter I with a gift of several amber panels. Andreas Schlüter had created them. In return, the King of Prussia is said to have been given 55 "Giant Grenadiers" for his Palace Guard. The panels were housed in the Tsar's Winter Palace, the present-day Hermitage. Rastrelli, Catherine the Great's court architect, brought them all together in 1755 to create a room completely lined with amber in the Summer Palace at Tsarskoye Selo. The room is the only one of its kind in the history of art. Rastrelli completed the amber panels by adding precious mosaics showing allegorical themes.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
AMBER ROOM - PART 2 German troops stole the Amber Room in the Second World War. The last time it was seen was in 1945 in the dungeons of Königsberg Castle (present-day Kaliningrad). Then all trace of it is lost. Bizarre theories and all sorts of imaginative adventure stories are wound up with the whereabouts of this room. Just where are the oak panels mounted with their pieces of amber? Where did the odyssey of the most famous art theft of the Nazi period come to an end? Despite the most intensive research, the room was never found.

The Soviet Union had already begun work on the reconstruction of the Amber Room in the 1980s. But it was only the 3.5 million dollars which Ruhrgas AG, as exclusive sponsor, provided for the completion of the project which enabled the work to be finished in time for the tercentenary year 2003. Some 50 restorers cut half a million small plates of amber to reproduce the wall panels. In the process, around six tonnes of the fossilised resin were used. A mosaic and a bureau which originally came from the Amber Room were returned to the palace from German private collections in the year 2000.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:19 pm
AMBER ROOM - PART 3 "Until now, the Amber Room was a symbol of the dark days of the Second World War. But as from today it is a clear, bright symbol of the good relationship between Russia and Germany", said Russian Minister of Culture, Michail Schwydkoi, on 17 May, the day on which the reconstruction work officially ended.
.............................................................................................. hope i haven't broken any rules here. one more entry on this subject follows. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:40 pm
At least the part that Germany helped with the reconstruction was true! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:46 pm
c.i. : yes, sorry to disappoint you! my wife(coming from a town very near to koenigsberg) was quite surprised and had a hard time believing it - shows you how fact and fiction get mixed up.( please see note to walter) . walter : a quite interesting article with lavish illustrations appears in the magazine DEUTSCHLAND (issue : E 5 No. 2/2003 April/May) which we receive courtesy of the german government; it is published by Societaets-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main. the web address is given as www.magazine-deutschland.de , but i cannot find it on the web; even tried the DEUTSCHLAND search machines - no luck. we have received the magazine for the last several years and it's not some obscure magazine. can you help find it ? don't know if there is perhaps already an overload of info on the amber room; just thought the address for anyone wanting to look at the illustratios might be in order. thanks! hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:56 pm
setanta : thanks for your help and "how-to" instructions! gives me something new to practice. ..... re. schiller-monument and master bailey : i quite agree with bailey; schiller was never my favourite germam poet/writer - just a little too dramatic for my taste (cleo - being more of a warrior type when she bares her teeth and growls might pwerhaps identify a little more with mr. schiller). i am more comfortable with someone like heinrich heine; just a little mor subtle. hbg
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:07 pm
"I need some help in understanding Germans."

Mapleleaf, I'm late getting to this thread, but I read all the posts and have some differences of opinion and further information.

It takes a wild stretch of the imagination to blame France for WWII. Most German historians agree that anti-Semitism was at the core of Hitler's ideology. Hitler put his ideas in his book "Mein Kampf"(My Struggle) in 1923 and became quite rich off the sales. The book contained everything he believed - Nationalism, anti-Bolshevism, and anti-Semitism. He wrote that Jews were bacilli, racial tuberculosis, and should be annihilated. Slavs were to be used as slaves. Jews were blamed for every conceivable ill. They were the embodiment of capitalism, anarchism, communism, and social problems including lesbianism, homosexuality, smoking by women and the incidence of abortion(abortion was a capital crime in the Third Reich.

In 1933, Jews constituted only 2% of the German population.

The fanatical and irrational nature of Nazi anti-Semitism can be observed by the fact that the death camps were operating up to the end of the war during a time when
there was a pressing need for freight space, supplies and personnel.
---------
Science: In "The 12-Year Reich", Grunberger has a chapter on education in that time. The "whole child" should be developed. There was a very strong emphasis on sports. Jewish ideas and Jewish science were thrown out.

As for Nazism, the Swastika is an ancient east Indian symbol. Hitler and his circle believed in reincarnation. Herr Goebbels believed he was Henry the Fowler!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:13 pm
The Nazi Swastika and the Indian symbol face in opposite directions. c.i.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:21 pm
The foreward to Anatomy of the SS State provides a help to understanding Nazism. There are two predominant views of the Third Reich.

The first view sums it up with the word Auschwitz and does not go beyond the stark fact that it happened. How and why it happened is answered with generalized moral and cultural philosophising and leaves out the intellectual and political background.

The second view sees the events as the crimes of a misguided body of men who had no place in the main stream of German history of the period.

Both views lack insight and fail to see the connection between the form of politcal tyranny adopted and the mass crime called for by its idiology.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:13 pm
hamburger

I couldn't find any online version of 'Deutschland', neither on the Presse- and Indormationsamt page nor at the Societäts-Verlag (there website isn't online in the moment, it seems).
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
CICERONE,

Thanks, I never knew that or noticed that (regarding the swastica)
0 Replies