Gitmo tribunals fair? Seems a kangaroo is skulking around...

DrewDad

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 10:12 am
Guardian finds Afghan witnesses US couldn't

Quote:
The US government said it could not find the men that Guantánamo detainee Abdullah Mujahid believes could help set him free. The Guardian found them in three days.
Two years ago the US military invited Mr Mujahid, a former Afghan police commander accused of plotting against the United States, to prove his innocence before a special military tribunal. As was his right, Mr Mujahid called four witnesses from Afghanistan.

But months later the tribunal president returned with bad news: the witnesses could not be found. Mr Mujahid's hopes sank and he was returned to the wire-mesh cell where he remains today.

The Guardian searched for Mr Mujahid's witnesses and found them within three days. One was working for President Hamid Karzai. Another was teaching at a leading American college. The third was living in Kabul. The fourth, it turned out, was dead. Each witness said he had never been approached by the Americans to testify in Mr Mujahid's hearing.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:03 pm
Most in the Bush administration are criminals of the worst kind. They don't realize how they would feel if treated in the same manner as their prisoners; without any rights to counsel or criminal charge.

They continue to assure Amerricans and the world that we treat the prisoners "humanely."

This kind of report shows how they continue to lie or are so incompetent, they shouldn't be administering anything of value beyond a used toothpick.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Most in the Bush administration are criminals of the worst kind.

Has there been a more idiotic comment? Probably, but that doesn't make this one any less idiotic.

Most in the Bush administration are criminals of the worst kind.

Good God the inanity of this statement is breathtaking!

They don't realize how they would feel if treated in the same manner as their prisoners; without any rights to counsel or criminal charge.

And they probably don't realize how it would feel to want to kill any "infidel" they can lay their hands on.

Oh my goodness, I almost lost concousness over the stupidity of this post, and I am unable to come up with a retort beyond: "You poor, but dangerous idiot!"

They continue to assure Amerricans and the world that we treat the prisoners "humanely."

This kind of report shows how they continue to lie or are so incompetent, they shouldn't be administering anything of value beyond a used toothpick.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:21 pm
US Lawyers Warn Bush on War Crimes
By Grant McCool
Lawyers Against the War
January 28, 2003

A group of U.S. law professors opposed to a possible war on Iraq warned U.S. President George W. Bush on Friday that he and senior government officials could be prosecuted for war crimes if military tactics violated international humanitarian law.

"Our primary concern ... is the large number of civilian casualties that may result should U.S. and coalition forces fail to comply with international humanitarian law in using force against Iraq," the group, led by the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights, said in a letter to Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

The group cited the particular need for U.S. and coalition forces to abide by humanitarian law requiring warring parties to distinguish between military and civilian areas, use only the level of force that is militarily necessary and to use weaponry that is proportionate to what is being targeted.

The letter, which had more than 100 signatories, said the rules had been broken in other recent wars. It said air strikes on populated cities, carpet bombing and the use of fuel-air explosives were examples of inappropriate military action taken during the 1991 Gulf War, the 1999 Kosovo campaign and the 2001 Afghan conflict that led to civilian casualties and might be used again in Iraq.

The letter to Bush and Rumsfeld coincided with similar notes sent this week to British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien by lawyers in those countries.

Ironically, Bush on Wednesday advised Iraqi officers and soldiers to disobey any orders to use weapons of mass destruction in the event of a conflict. "If you choose to do so, when Iraq is liberated, you will be treated, tried and persecuted as a war criminal," he said. On Sunday, Rumsfeld said he would favor granting Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and senior Iraqi leaders immunity from possible war crimes prosecution if it would clear the way for their exile and avoid a war.

INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT

Government officials in Britain and Canada could theoretically be investigated by the new International Criminal Court in The Hague if it was determined that international laws had been broken in war. The United States has refused to cooperate with the court and has withdrawn its signature from the treaty establishing it.

The letter to Blair, dated Jan. 22, from Public Interest Lawyers said that if Britain's actions in Iraq were deemed possible war crimes, "we, and others, will take steps to ensure that you, and other leaders of the U.K. government are held accountable."

The Canadian group, Lawyers Against the War, said in its letter dated Jan. 20, that it was putting Chretien's government on notice that without explicit U.N. Security Council approval for a war on Iraq, "we will pursue all responsible government officials on charges of murder and crimes against humanity in both the Canadian and the international criminal courts."

One of the leading signatories to the letter to Bush said although Washington was not a party to the ICC, U.S. officials could still be prosecuted under the Geneva Convention. "War crimes under that convention can be prosecuted wherever the perpetrators are found," said Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights. He said the situation could be likened to the attempt by a Spanish magistrate to prosecute former Chilean military dictator Augusto Pinochet in 1996 for human rights violations during his rule.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:25 pm
Re: Gitmo tribunals fair? Seems a kangaroo is skulking aroun
DrewDad wrote:
Guardian finds Afghan witnesses US couldn't

Quote:
The US government said it could not find the men that Guantánamo detainee Abdullah Mujahid believes could help set him free. The Guardian found them in three days.
Two years ago the US military invited Mr Mujahid, a former Afghan police commander accused of plotting against the United States, to prove his innocence before a special military tribunal. As was his right, Mr Mujahid called four witnesses from Afghanistan.

But months later the tribunal president returned with bad news: the witnesses could not be found. Mr Mujahid's hopes sank and he was returned to the wire-mesh cell where he remains today.

The Guardian searched for Mr Mujahid's witnesses and found them within three days. One was working for President Hamid Karzai. Another was teaching at a leading American college. The third was living in Kabul. The fourth, it turned out, was dead. Each witness said he had never been approached by the Americans to testify in Mr Mujahid's hearing.

Interesting article, thanks Drewdad.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 11:31 pm
CI, you are consistently awesome.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 07:06 am
Re: Gitmo tribunals fair? Seems a kangaroo is skulking aroun

They must have gone in hiding when the Americans show up. Those Afghans, you see, they engage in asymmetric warfare to make the US look bad. That's how evil they are. I hope you are aware you are putting American lives at risk by posting this link.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 08:40 am
Maybe we should see if the Guardian can get an interview with Osama bin Laden....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:26 am
DrewDad wrote:
Maybe we should see if the Guardian can get an interview with Osama bin Laden....

Sounds plausible, considering almost everything about what Bush has wrought the world...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:10 am
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/276109_swift01.html

Gitmo win likely cost Navy lawyer his career
'Fearless' defense of detainee a stinging loss for Bush

Saturday, July 1, 2006

By PAUL SHUKOVSKY
P-I REPORTER

Lt. Cmdr. Charles Swift -- the Navy lawyer who beat the president of the United States in a pivotal Supreme Court battle over trying alleged terrorists -- figures he'll probably have to find a new job.

AP
Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charles Swift first represented Hamdan two years ago in U.S. District Court in Seattle.
Of course, it's always risky to compare your boss to King George III.

Swift made the analogy to the court, saying President Bush had overstepped his authority when he bypassed Congress and set up illegal military tribunals to try Guantanamo detainees such as Swift's alleged al-Qaida client, Salim Ahmed Hamdan.

The justices agreed, ruling 5-3 Thursday in favor of dismantling the current tribunal system.

Despite his spectacular success, with the assistance of attorneys from the Seattle firm Perkins Coie, Swift thinks his military career is coming to an end. The 44-year-old Judge Advocate General officer, who was recently named one of the 100 most influential lawyers in the country by The National Law Journal, was passed over for promotion last year as the high-profile case was making headlines around the world.

"I may be one of the most influential lawyers in America," the Seattle University Law School graduate said, "but I won't be in the military much longer. That irony did strike me."

Swift's future in the Navy now rests with another promotion board that is expected to render its decision in the next couple of weeks. Under the military's system, officers need to be promoted at regularly scheduled intervals or their service careers are essentially over.

"The way it works, the die was cast some months ago," he said. "The decision has been made. I don't know what it is yet." But he thinks his chances are slim.

Asked if he believes he was passed over for promotion last year for political reasons, Swift would not speculate.

"I don't know," he said. "I'm not going to worry about it. I didn't volunteer for this. I got nominated for it. When I got it, I just decided to do the best I could."

Swift has worked under two officers as a member of the small team of lawyers defending "enemy combatants" being held at Guantanamo Bay. Both of them spoke highly of Swift Friday and said they gave him very high ratings on his annual review, called a fitness report.

"He's doing a fantastic job," said Swift's current boss at the Office of Military Commissions (tribunals), Marine Col. Dwight Sullivan.

Sullivan spoke of the crucial importance of the case decided Thursday by the Supreme Court. "It's a fundamental constitutional question about the powers of the president," Sullivan said. Asked about Swift's aggressive legal challenge of the commander in chief, Sullivan saluted Swift's "moral courage."

"He has been absolutely fearless is pursuing his client's interests. And also he has exhibited an extraordinary level of legal skill. His legal strategy has been brilliant.

"We all take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States and he has certainly done that, literally."

Swift spoke Friday about his "immense pride" in the military justice system. "I don't feel that because you join the military you should lose rights. If there is anyone who deserves the protection of those rights, it's the people who are willing to lay down their lives for it."

So the question is will Swift lay down his career because of his vigorous defense of a Yemeni tribesman who was Osama bin Laden's driver in Afghanistan.

Swift's first supervisor at the Office of Commissions was Col. Will Gunn, who said Friday that he gave Swift two annual fitness reports and "I gave him very high ratings overall."

Asked whether he thought politics might have played a role in Swift being bypassed for promotion, Gunn focused on Swift's atypical career as a military lawyer. "Charlie has spent a lot of time as a litigator, a trial advocate. That's really unusual in the JAG. You find that people in the more senior ranks have moved around and proved themselves in a variety of settings."

Most of Swift's career has been spent in the courtroom.

"While Charlie is a brilliant guy, a tenacious litigator, he does not have all the blocks checked like some other folks have," Gunn said. He called it a "breadth-of-experience" issue.

Swift clearly believes that his vigorous defense of Hamdan was, in a very real way, a vigorous defense of military justice and the Constitution.

"If they are calling the commissions (tribunals) military justice, it's got to live up to what military justice is. It means something. It's about the law, not what the leaders want. The greatest thing about the JAG Corps is ... I had the opportunity to work every day in a system I believe in."

Swift figures he'll hear around the second week of the month whether he's been passed over for promotion again. If so, he says, it will be time to dust off the resume.

He doesn't know what might be next, but when asked if he might move back to the Puget Sound area, he said: "I lived in Seattle for 6 1/2 years. I love Seattle."

He proceeded to reminisce fondly about sitting in the Kingdome's outfield bleachers watching the Mariners play. "And my wife is an airplane pilot. She could live anywhere."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P-I reporter Paul Shukovsky can be reached at 206-448-8072 or [email protected].

© 1998-2006 Seattle Post-Intelligencer
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:11 am
We still have high ranking good guys in the military service of our country.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:12 am
Heroic figure. Let's keep an eye on this, ci, and see what happens to the fellow.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:18 pm
Isn't Lt. Commander about the equal of a major?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 01:53 pm
Yes, DrewDad, you're right. Our son is also a Major (in the reserve) in the Air Force. I was an E4 in the Air Force, but stayed in only four years.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:22 am
blatham wrote:
Heroic figure. Let's keep an eye on this, ci, and see what happens to the fellow.

You realize, of course, that you are encouraging ignorant tripe like

"Most in the Bush administration are criminals of the worst kind."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:51 am
Bush crimes against humanity:

http://www.bushcommission.org/?q=node/13
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
More.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 10:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bush crimes against humanity:

http://www.bushcommission.org/?q=node/13

No thanks, I don't like chittlins.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 11:36 pm
Finn, Whatever suits your "taste."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 01:32 pm
I gather you have nothing to say about the story this thread's about, Finn?
0 Replies