Do you think so ?

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:05 pm
Someone said, where there is mum, there is home.
Do you think so? What's your impression of father?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 827 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:42 am
I love my father. What a silly question! Smile
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:49 am
If mother is shelter, then father is sustenance.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:19 am
It's funny...when my father passed away six years ago, I spoke of him to a couple of friends who were surprised that one grieved over a father the same as a mother. And I was shocked by that. Neither of these friends had a relationship with their father but it surprised me that in spite of that, they actually thought it strange or odd to mourn a fathers' passing. I finally had to accept that the very concept of "father" to some people, many people, is a complete mystery. Totally foreign. And that's sad.
0 Replies

egyptian girl

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 03:39 pm
I THINK THIS IS TRUE AS THERE IS A MOTHER'S DAY AND THERE ISN'T A FATHER'S DAY Laughing ..mother is the first home because she is the first place you were in..before coming to world i mean.. just an opinion :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:22 pm
Egyptian Girl--

Welcome to A2K.

There is a Father's Day in the U.S.
0 Replies

onthequiet

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 06:51 pm
The pharmacy i work at does methadone program to help people off drugs , i can assure you that " where there is a mum there is a home " is not always true .

You get great mums and you also get great dads , some of the mums that come through there i wouldnt even trust to own a dog and to be honest with you and im going to say it , it discusts me on how they treat and behave in front of the kids and even though i cant get involved i would love to report 90% of them to child welfare cause if their treating the kids like this while they take their hit then imagine what their like at home .

Sorry for the outburst there guys but i have a 4 year old and another on the way and that part of my work upsets me as i see it almost every day .

PS ... Id like to think im a great dad and make a great home for my daughter
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:04 pm
Onthequiet's post touched home for me. My mother is a crack addict, so I can say with relative certainty that being a mother doesn't mean much. My sister's and I used to say as kids (in a way of assuring ourselves that this wasn't all there was) "Anyone can be a mother, but it takes courage to be a Mommy".

Fortunately for me, my grandmother and grandfather took my sisters and I in when we were young. And I did have a Mommy in my grandmother. So I think the expression can be true whenever there is a caring maternal figure present - whether that figure be a mother, stepmother, older sister, grandmother, or even father or other male role-model. Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say, "wherever there is nurturing, there is a home!"
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:22 pm
Quote:
The pharmacy i work at does methadone program to help people off drugs , i can assure you that " where there is a mum there is a home " is not always true .

OTQ...I've seen this also...its sad, but like you said.."True". It angers me to no end to see these so called "mothers" have children and spit them out to never take heed to them afterwards except to draw a welfare check or food stamps that they take for trade-offs for drugs or cash, never thinking about those children that they've dumped on the doorstep of their parents or someone else that had the heart to take them in. It pisses me off........

Quote:
Onthequiet's post touched home for me. My mother is a crack addict, so I can say with relative certainty that being a mother doesn't mean much. My sister's and I used to say as kids (in a way of assuring ourselves that this wasn't all there was) "Anyone can be a mother, but it takes courage to be a Mommy".

DJ, I'm sorry that you have to endure that from the woman that give birth to you, but its wonderful that you had a grandmother to turn too.

Let me tell you something else that angers me, My oldest son witnessed a drug deal today. He's 11! This women was dressed in trashy clothes standing on the corner while we waited on a redlight. My son noticed her because a man walked up beside her and he passed her a rock in clear sight of us. Yep..5:00 p.m this afternoon in high traffic....the girl looked straight at the two of us watching her.......I shot her a go to hell look, but my thought was....You could be someone's mother

I asked my son if he noticed what was going on...he kinda did...but wasn't quite sure about it. I used this opportunity for a lesson on drugs!!

And with my own personal experiences throughout my childhood, and dealing with my sister, some people aren't cut out to be mothers, no matter how many children they have...........
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:03 am
As daniellejean said I think it is the nurturing aspect. It is the loving nurturing aspect that makes a house a home - and typically the mom is the more nurturing parent - not that a dad cannot be, however, by nature most moms tend to be more nurturing. That is the basis of the phrase.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:08 am
Theres a fathers day in the UK too.

I see what the original poster is saying but I only have one mother and one father, both are fantastic.
0 Replies