to get ploughed

possopo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:56 pm
"you need to step aside because you're gonna get ploughed"

i sort of understand the sentence but i have a hard time finding a good definition or "ploughed" in this context. it's about a skateboarder who's probably getting too old to skate.

is it popular jargon, very rude, common or uncommon? i looked it up in different dictionaries (even urbandictionary.com) and couldn't find anything at all that could match the situation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,596 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:18 pm
In this situation, it's a shortened version of the expression "getting ploughed under"

In brief, since this story is about skateboarding, it's someone saying "get out of the way or you're going to get knocked to the ground"

A plough is a farm implement (tool) that turned the earth over, before the farmer plants his fields.
So, a plough turned the earth (dirt) under.

In slang, ploughed is also used to discribe being REALLY drunk with alcohol. As in "Wow, Jim was really ploughed at the party last night".

Imagine getting run over by this plough, and you'll get the meaning.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/images/85096.jpg

It isn't really a rude word, as in profanity.

I wouldn't say it to someone I respect though.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:08 am
To get ploughed = to get knocked down, run over, shoved out of the way. There is the term "ploughed under" referring to weeds, crop leftovers, etc that are covered over by the earth when a plough goes through it, and there could well be a connection with that.

I wonder if it has any remote connection with the (possibly no longer in use) English term for failing one's exams in university.
0 Replies