design build on site

possopo

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 05:44 pm
"we're not just park builders, we're not just park designers, we're design build on site"

this sentence is about people who build skateparks and i don't totally understand (besides the grammar mistakes that seem pretty obvious) what a build on site is, or a design build on site.

basically, does it mean that they design and build skateparks trying to respect the site, adjusting the construction to the particularities of the site and not simply building something from universal plans that are supposed to fit to any location?

"it's real important how all skate boarders and design build on site, done deal start to finish."

can i say in a better english "it's really important that skateboarders and designers do the job from start to finish" or am i missing something?

i really think the narrator is using very bad english. am i right?

thanks in advance for helping me on these two sentences:)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Wy

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:03 pm
"Design/build" is a phrase (jargon) used to mean the same people who design the project, also build it. The opposite scenario would be if an architect or engineer (or both) designed a project and then handed off the plans to a builder, who did the construction.

"Design/build on site" means, as you suppose. that the designers and builders meet at the site and consider it when they make their plans. And yes, I think your writer intends to say that it's important for skateboarders to have a say in the design, as they understand the physics involved... Maybe we could rephrase that second sentence as, "it's important that skateboarders and design/build on site firms work together to create skateparks."

So "design build on site" isn't grammatical, but it is commonly understood jargon. You're correct also in saying your writer is not very careful.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:54 pm
that's perfectly clear, thanks a lot:)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:21 pm
Re: design build on site
possopo wrote:

can i say in a better english "it's really important that skateboarders and designers do the job from start to finish" or am i missing something?

i really think the narrator is using very bad english. am i right?

In order to detemine what's "good or bad" English, one has to know the situation that that English is being used in. "good/bad" aren't really very accurate ways to describe language.

There certainly is language appropriate to certain situations but the most formal of language, deemed 'good' by many, is actually "bad" for most informal/casual situations.
0 Replies