To create evil one must be evil - Is God Evil ?

BDV

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 05:05 pm
To create evil one must be evil

Speaks for itself, is God as spoken in the Old Testament Evil? if not then why create it ?

Quote:
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,601 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 08:47 pm
Actually this is referring to the LORD and not GOD. There is a difference between the two, but that is another subject for another time.

Now, One does not have to be evil to create evil. One can unintentionally create evil. That doesn't mean that One is evil.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:51 am
Really, that's one of those mind f*cks people do.

They state something like "one must be evil to create evil" and state it with such certainty and a quote from somewhere, that many/some will just take it as truth.

It might not even be an accident, but a biproduct of some else created.

How many things have both components of good and evil?

What about all the things that are good for some, evil for others?

Most things are neutral, having the potential for either/both/neither.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:09 am
So taking enjoyment from bashing kids against rock and allowing young girl virgins to be raped is not evil? This is what the Christian God does. Why can he do things such as this and not be called evil? Humans are called evil for doing this. Why the double standard?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:35 am
I now desperately need to know the differnece between God and Lord!!?
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
Waiting to find out also, so who is lord, I read that the different names used dictate possible different authors, are you saying it may be 2 Gods ?

"Adonai" translated as "Lord". This is used 434 times.

"Yhwh (JHVH)" - 6500 times.

But Adonai-Yhwh is also used quite a lot
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:04 am
Isaiah said this, or prophesied it...?

I think one way people go wrong when they're using random Bible quotes to prove a point, is they pick it up from anywhere in the Bible, and attribute it to God or Jesus, or Christianity as a whole.

If you are using this quote to say that God stated He created evil, yet Isaiah said it, you may have a difficult time pinning it on God. Very Happy

I'm not refuting it, because I haven't read the passage.

Have you? In what context is the quote used?

(Admittedly too lazy to look it up right now). Razz
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:10 am
Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord

http://www.nccg.org/FAQ262-Lord.html
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:17 am
Quote:
So taking enjoyment from bashing kids against rock and allowing young girl virgins to be raped is not evil? This is what the Christian God does. Why can he do things such as this and not be called evil? Humans are called evil for doing this. Why the double standard?

Shed yer illutions. Good and evil are perspectives. From where I'm standing, bashing kids and raping virgins doesn't sound like something I'd want anyone to be doing, but even these activities can be good deeds in extreme cases.

If f.eks. a maniac king ordered that all the virgin girls should be sacrificed to the gods, and all the unscarred boys also. I'd bash my kids head against the wall, I'd have someone rape my daughter, because the alternative is worse still.

Btw, I know my example is ridiculous, but bear in mind that this was not so only a few hunderd years ago, and certainly not in biblical times.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:36 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:

Shed yer illutions. Good and evil are perspectives. From where I'm standing, bashing kids and raping virgins doesn't sound like something I'd want anyone to be doing, but even these activities can be good deeds in extreme cases.

If f.eks. a maniac king ordered that all the virgin girls should be sacrificed to the gods, and all the unscarred boys also. I'd bash my kids head against the wall, I'd have someone rape my daughter, because the alternative is worse still.

Btw, I know my example is ridiculous, but bear in mind that this was not so only a few hunderd years ago, and certainly not in biblical times.

Right.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
If you believe the bible - IF you believe the bible, then all intelligent creatures were created with free will. Whoever did the creating would, because of his position, be entitled (and, in fact, required) to set the standards of what was good and what was bad. This was apparently the case when God declared everything to be good at the end of the sixth day (Genesis 1:31)

Well, what if one of the intelligent creatures were to decide that God did not, in fact, have the right to set moral standards? Acting on this decision would be rebellion, would it not? Perhaps that is why the word Satan means rebel or resister.

So, the initial proposition of 'to create evil, one must be evil' is deceptive. To create evil, one must decide to do evil.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
Actually, I believe Satan means "adversary"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
material girl wrote:
I now desperately need to know the difference between God and Lord!!?
God and Lord are generic terms, titles. So, in reality, God's name is not God.

In the OT, the name Jehovah, or Yahweh, is used thousands of times to refer to the one whose name means 'He who causes to become'.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:28 am
Cyracuz wrote:
That would work.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:40 am
neologist wrote:
Quote:
God and Lord are generic terms, titles. So, in reality, God's name is not God.

In the OT, the name Jehovah, or Yahweh, is used thousands of times to refer to the one whose name means 'He who causes to become'.

If so, then the entire debate on the existence of god is a mere semantics quarrel. I find that greatly amusing. Very Happy
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
Cyracuz wrote:

Actually, adversary, opposer, or accuser are all correct.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:21 pm
Neologist wrote:
So, the initial proposition of 'to create evil, one must be evil' is deceptive. To create evil, one must decide to do evil.

So what made God decide to do evil?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:25 pm
xingu wrote:
Neologist wrote:

God did not decide to do evil. The resister, adversary, opposer, (etc.) Satan decided to do evil.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:32 pm
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
Neologist wrote:

God did not decide to do evil. The resister, adversary, opposer, (etc.) Satan decided to do evil.

All I can say to this is it sure is a good thing your god isnt omniscient, or you'd not have a leg to stand on Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 12:56 pm
Jehovah no doubt foresaw the possibility of rebellion, but also foreknew that he would prevail.
0 Replies