what is the meaning of this sentence?

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 02:45 am
I met this sentence when reading ."The women went to the garden party to display their summer toilet." can you tell me what the meaning of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 467 • Replies: 4
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:41 am
Yes, the word toilet is being used as an old-fashioned word that means clothes, and not bathroom. So, the sentence means, "The women went to the garden party to be seen in their summer clothing."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
snicker
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
what did *you* think it meant, lil prince? Razz
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Should be spelled "toilette" because 1) we are referring to their manner of dress; and 2) we are referring to women. (The word comes from French.)

A woman "makes her toilette" (and a man, his "toilet") by bathing, powdering, dressing, putting on makeup, dressing her hair -- getting ready for the day. Obviously, functions of bodily waste elimination are included in there somewhere, but, being polite, we don't mention that... Hence, the use of "toilet" to mean a place to accomplish these acts, and the "unmentionable" equipment therein...
0 Replies