What do you know about "trans-fat?"

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 06:28 pm
It was declared by some ban trans-fat organization that most people in this country now knows about "trans-fat." The questions: 1) Did you know about "trans-fat" before this law suit? 2) Did you learn about trans-fat as a result of this lawsuit? and 3) You still don't know anything about trans-fat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,834 • Replies: 49
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:09 pm
Remember, CI: a2kers are above average on most issues. I don't see how the poll could be typical.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:20 pm
edgar, I'm not sure about "above average," but this question is very specific; it's about trans-fat. I think our social group is "above average," but I don't think we're all knowledgeable about trans-fat. c.i.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:44 pm
As a result of some courses I took about 20 years ago, I knew 'something' about trans-fat before the lawsuit. The lawsuit, and the information brought forward as a result, caused me to go back, read some old stuff, and look at the new research.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:20 pm
There are whole segments of the food industry making quite a bit of money by cutting out trans fats and the like. But, average consumers have gone on buying the junk, oblivious to anything but the compulsion to satisfy unhealthy craving. It takes quite a bit to get their attention.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:31 pm
I knew about trans-fat way before this lawsuit, but in the legal thread, it was stated that this was because I am a chef. Well, so be it. If you buy junk, you turn into junk, trans-fat or not. People should be smarter. Even if you did not know anything about trans-fat, you could certainly not make a case that you knew nothing about the 4 food groups, eating a balanced diet and excercising. So the lawsuit educated people about trans-fat. Great, but people have known how to eat a proper diet for years and years, and Oreos and friggin potato chips just were never part of the program! Sorry, but the whole question is frivolous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:47 pm
I would agree that it's frivolous if more people were "getting it." But, a child who grows up satisfying every urge for potato chips and Oreos has never had enough lessons in self control. It takes a lot to reach these type people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:50 pm
cav, I agree that this question is "frivolous," because we knew about good and bad foods long before "trans-fats" ever came upon the food scene. Trying to educate the populace on "trans-fats" by initiating a law suit is also "frivolous." The American diet isn't going to change just because some goody-goody lawyer brings a lawsuit "to educate the masses." What's obvious is that over fifty percent of teenagers are over-weight. If anybody wants to change the way Americans eat, it's not going to happen by one law suit - nor many. Over 90 percent of people who go on diets fail, because food is available. It's foolish to think people are going to all of a sudden start studying about trans-fat, because it's bad for our health. How many shoppers read the ingredient label when they go shopping at the supermarket? Therein lies the problem. c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:50 pm
And society should shoulder the blame for those 'type of people?' Even if you know nothing about trans-fat, you have to know that Oreos aren't dinner...or am I just completely naive?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:52 pm
I agree c.i., it seems that these days laziness + guilt = lawsuit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:29 pm
Somebody has to shoulder the blame for companies bilking the public by pushing food (or other) products they know to be unhealthy while actually hiding as much of the truth as possible for as long as possible. It only takes a small amount of junk food on the order of Oreos or potato chips to put the system out of whack, creating cravings as strong as the urge to smoke or consume alcohol. That is why commercials for this stuff are so successful. It does not take a lot of encouragement to get an addict going.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 10:21 pm
I was already of a 'trans-fats are nasty' mind before the suit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:39 am
I saw in the news this morning some "scum bags" questioning the additives given cattle to save money by making them grow fast. They suggested that some of the additives encourages breast cancer to grow. Fortunately, the ones administering the additives were able to point out that the scum bags, who obviously are only in it for the money, are wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:55 am
I call them scum bags because this is what I have learned this week from C.I.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:12 am
With all the flap about trans-fats, very little notice is given to the effect of salt in prepared foods, and the effect on hypertension. There is a great article in today's Tampa Tribune about it, but unfortunately, I can't find it on the online edition.

Bottom line, the government's recommended maximum is 2,400 mg./day.
Average American adult consumes about 4,000 mg./day. Not good.

"Up to 75% of the daily sodium intake comes from salt in processed food".

Here's a good list of foods that are low in fat, as well as salt!

http://216.185.102.50/chf/diet/choosing.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:23 am
That's a good point Phoenix. Again, I know this, but I read labels. Constantly. Too much salt can be a killer. Funny, sometimes when I do cooking classes, people are surprised at how much salt I use to season but in all honesty, it is nowhere near what is in processed food. I find it interesting that people are squeamish about not properly seasoning the food they cook at home, but will still stock the freezer with frozen dinners, or just as bad, use seasoning mixes packed with more sodium than I could ever use on a piece of meat.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:31 am
Actually, even after reading different websites about
trans-fat, I don't know now what it is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:35 am
cavfancier- I can always tell when I have overindulged in salt. It goes right to my legs! One of the things that this article lists are items that can be used to flavor food when you don't want to use salt. ( I am going to make an attempt to type this Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
Basil- fish, lamb, ground meats, stews, salads, soups

Chives- Salads, sauces, soups, lean meat dishes, vegetables

Cider Vinegar- salads, vegetables, sauces

Curry powder- lean meats, veal, chicken, fish, tomatoes, soups

Dill- Fish sauces, soups, cabbage, carrots. green beans, potatoes, salads, macaroni, lamb, chicken, fish.

Garlic- lean meats, fish, soups, salads, vegetables

Ginger- Chicken, fruits

Lemon juice- lean meats, fish, poultry, salads vegetables

Parsley- lean meats, fish soups, salads, sauces, vegetables

Sage- lean meats, stews, biscuits, vegetables

Rosemary- Chicken Veal, lean meats, sauces, stuffing

Thyme- lean meats, sauces, soups, onions, peas, salads

Source: American Heart Association
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 06:44 am
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in that order Very Happy I like it...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 08:56 am
Phoenix, Your post is important, because it speaks to the fundamental problem with "all" of our diets. Too much salt is a killer, and it's in almost every prepackaged food product. Some frozen foods has almost 50 percent sodium. Those folks talking about trans-fat should redirect their concerns to salt. c.i.
0 Replies