What do you know about "trans-fat?"

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 09:53 am
c.i.- I was very big on frozen food for lunches- Stuff like "Lean Cuisine". Then one day I looked at the sodium content of a few of them.............WOW!

I regret that I couldn't find an online version of the Tampa Tribune article. One of the points that was made is that there are prepared foods that one does not think of as "salty" that still contains a goodly amount of sodium.

I think that the only answer is to read, read, read.

Another thing, whiile I am on this- Ever take a look at the sugar content in prepared foods?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 11:15 am
I personally prepare 90% of the food I eat. The chicken soup I am just now eating has no added salt at all. It is actually good that way to one who adds only a little salt to food every now and then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:17 pm
edgar, You are the exception rather than the rule; most people drink canned soup (that's the reason why Campbell Soup is so popular), and the stuff they serve in restaurant has tons of sodium. I also see many people adding salt and pepper to most things they order in restaurants. My wife never uses salt in her cooking, and one box of salt will sit on the shelf for over a decade or more. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:19 pm
However, I still eat Campbell Soup's chicken noodle and mushroom soups, and order soups in restaurants - occasionally. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:31 pm
Well, there is nothing new in trans fats, they exist since beginning of the 20th century, and this is a French invention made by the chemist Paul Sabatier:
Quote:
Sabatier's various discoveries formed the bases of the margarine, oil hydrogenation...
Britannica. This is something that may destroy the myth that French food is always fine and delicious...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 12:51 pm
steissd wrote:
This is something that may destroy the myth that French food is always fine and delicious...

The complete quoted paragraph reads as follows:
Quote:

Sabatier's various discoveries formed the bases of the margarine, oil hydrogenation, and synthetic methanol industries, as well as of numerous laboratory syntheses. He explored nearly the whole field of catalytic syntheses in organic chemistry, personally investigating several hundred hydrogenation and dehydrogenation reactions, showing that several other metals besides nickel possess catalytic activity, though in smaller degree. He also studied catalytic hydration and dehydration, examining both the feasibility of specific reactions and the general activity of the various catalysts.

Where, steissd, do you find somethimg about 'always fine and delicious French food'?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:50 pm
I meant contribution of Mr. Sabatier to invention of margarine: such a thing would never exist in absence of hydrogenated vegetable oils. Well, I hardly can add this stuff to the list of delicatessen..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:34 pm
Johana Budwig, who at one time was a part of the German government (late 40s or early 50s) began researching trans-fats and the relation to such ailments as cancer and heart attacks, and is the one who made flax oil a popular addition to many diets. The industries that make margerine and the like tried to shut her up, but she kept right on with her work until old age slowed her down. She showed how a proper diet could actually cure many kinds of cancer and heart disease. She is credited with personally curing at least a thousand cancer patients. Also, she did research into diet and juvenile delinquency. She maintained that most of the time a child getting a certain diet would have no desire to be a delinquent. Only one or two of her books has been translated to the English language. She still lives, but, has suffered a fall and broke her arm near the shoulder. Her prognosis does not look promising.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 05:48 pm
Some friends of mine spend all day active outside in the sun.
It's physically impossible for them to drink water fast enough... it evaporates faster than the body can absorb.

So they eat salt, straight from the container, then they are able to stay hydrated.

1) Any idea how healthy or unhealthy this is, when so many minerals are lost through sweat? (T-shirts get white stains caked all over them, and quickly disintegrate from all the minerals perspired).

2) Any ideas for an alternative to salt?
Sugary Gatorade drinks are one, but what if you're diabetic?

3) Should they be concerned about other minerals as well? When happens if not enough salt or minerals are consumed?

Thoughts?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 07:45 pm
CodeBerg, Your post reminded me of my childhood when we were 'required' to work on the farms harvesting fruit during the summer months. We took salt tablets, and drank tons of water, and our shirts ended up with those 'white cakes' you spoke about. I now suffer from hypertension, and take drugs to reduce my BP. I wonder if those years of salt tablets caused my high BP? c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 01:02 am
c.i.- Hmmm.... I remember when I went to summer camp, and they handed out salt tablets when it was a hot day, and we were playing outside!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
c.i.- I was very big on frozen food for lunches- Stuff like "Lean Cuisine". Then one day I looked at the sodium content of a few of them.............WOW!

I regret that I couldn't find an online version of the Tampa Tribune article. One of the points that was made is that there are prepared foods that one does not think of as "salty" that still contains a goodly amount of sodium.

I think that the only answer is to read, read, read.

Another thing, whiile I am on this- Ever take a look at the sugar content in prepared foods?

Phoenix:

The salt content looks like a lot, but if that's most of your salt intake for th day, it's much at all. The normal sodium chloride level/day is suggested to be 2400 mg/day. That's easily maintained, if you count salt grams/day.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:48 am
If people aren't using salt on their foods, where are they getting their daily requirements fo iodine/iodide? What's happening with their thyroid glands?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
With all the flap about trans-fats, very little notice is given to the effect of salt in prepared foods, and the effect on hypertension. There is a great article in today's Tampa Tribune about it, but unfortunately, I can't find it on the online edition.

Bottom line, the government's recommended maximum is 2,400 mg./day.
Average American adult consumes about 4,000 mg./day. Not good.

"Up to 75% of the daily sodium intake comes from salt in processed food".

Here's a good list of foods that are low in fat, as well as salt!

http://216.185.102.50/chf/diet/choosing.htm

If people give up salt, what will happen to the diuretics industry?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:52 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
edgar, I'm not sure about "above average," but this question is very specific; it's about trans-fat. I think our social group is "above average," but I don't think we're all knowledgeable about trans-fat. c.i.

I don't think the average person either knows or cares about the cis or trans-configurations around a C-C bond.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:50 am
In Houston, a glass of tap water, generally speaking, contains a full dose of daily salt requirement. I take extra iodine as a supplement.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:12 am
edgarblythe wrote:
In Houston, a glass of tap water, generally speaking, contains a full dose of daily salt requirement. I take extra iodine as a supplement.

Why's the water so salty?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 06:14 am
New Haven-

Quote:
If people give up salt, what will happen to the diuretics industry?

If people become more aware, take control of their lives, and become healthier, what will become of the pharmaceutical industry in general? I think that people need to know that it is in the drug industry's interest for people to eat and behave unwisely. That keeps their cash registers humming.

Also, people need to know that if they need a medication, they don't necessarily need the high priced name brand drugs that just received its patent yesterday. In many cases, some of the older drugs were just as effective, cost less, and had less side effects.

Pharmaceutical company's detail sales people are paid big bucks to convince an MD that their ***New*** ***Improved*** super duper pill is the one to prescribe. They give the doctors samples to had out to patients, figuring that the doctor will then prescribe the medication, (Just like the sample of cake or cheese that you get in the super market)Doctors, being doctors, and not business people, fall for the detail peoples' bulls**t every time!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 06:14 am
We're near the ocean?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:11 am
Phoenix makes a good point about doctors in general...my vet (vets are doctors too) almost forgot to charge me for our dog's ultrasound (he has one every year for a mild heart murmur). I practically had to force the VISA on him. Also, when I was first prescribed Prevacid for my acid reflux, my doctor said "This medication is a bit expensive, do you have a health plan?" I said "Yes, but how expensive is it?" The doctor said "To be honest, I have no idea..."
0 Replies