What do you know about "trans-fat?"

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:31 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
New Haven-

Quote:
If people give up salt, what will happen to the diuretics industry?

If people become more aware, take control of their lives, and become healthier, what will become of the pharmaceutical industry in general? I think that people need to know that it is in the drug industry's interest for people to eat and behave unwisely. That keeps their cash registers humming.

Also, people need to know that if they need a medication, they don't necessarily need the high priced name brand drugs that just received its patent yesterday. In many cases, some of the older drugs were just as effective, cost less, and had less side effects.

Pharmaceutical company's detail sales people are paid big bucks to convince an MD that their ***New*** ***Improved*** super duper pill is the one to prescribe. They give the doctors samples to had out to patients, figuring that the doctor will then prescribe the medication, (Just like the sample of cake or cheese that you get in the super market)Doctors, being doctors, and not business people, fall for the detail peoples' bulls**t every time!

Phoenix:

I think the drug companies want us to be dependents. They want us to demand new meds from our docs and they want the docs to order, not 1, not 2 but 3 pills to do the work of one or even none.

Docs flush the patients today through managed care, faster than a car going through a car wash. Walk into exam room, you're asked "What's the problem". Patient has to hurry up and say what's the problem. But how many patients even know what their problems are?

In the old days, people didn't visit MDs each month, year or in many cases a lifetime. People, if vaccinated, managed to survive many illness, didn't get fat and lazy and weren't depressed and bi-polar. Somehow, they did very well on very little

Today, MDs can't treat any patient without first putting a label on that patient. Rules of the road for your average internist: Lable and then write an Rx.

Remedy: watch out for what you eat. Get plenty of excercise and rest.
Avoid unnecessary medications. Vist an MD only when absolutely necessary.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 07:32 am
Addition:

MDs learn very little pharmacology in med school. They're lucky if they get 4 weeks. That's why they fall for the bull handed out by the salepeople.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:05 am
Edgar - salty water - that's DISGUSTING. I live near the ocean, but all our tap water comes from the Sierra Nevada i.e. Hetch Hetchy. Even so, I still use filtered tap water for drinking, typically reverse osmosis. Most refridgerators with water through the door offer these, as do many water coolers. Many folks also install them under their sinks, it's far from uncommon.

Salty water....blech....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 10:15 am
Oh yeah, as far as trans-fat is concerned, yes I knew about it before this. In fact, I often purchase trans-fat free margarine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:02 pm
cjh, Which margarines are free of trans-fat? c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:06 pm
Smart Balance.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:08 pm
<ahem>

trans-fatty acid is a VERY cool song by lamb.

stasia
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:15 pm
cjh, Smart Balance uses palmitic acid; not exactly a stable food source. c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:09 pm
"stable food source"???? They use palm oil for a reason, to balance the fats. They do not use palm kernel oil.

http://www.smartbalance.com/palm.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 02:40 pm
cjh, "Stable food source?" What in hell am I talking about? Well, you made me a believer in 'palm oil.' I had thought up to today that palm oil was bad for us. Did a quick search on Google about palm oil, and found it's one of the best and oldest oils used by man. Wonder where I got my information on palm oil being bad for us? I know it's been many years that I've stayed away from it, especially in Asian foods. Funny, heh? Get one idea in your head, and it sticks with you forever - until somebody tells you different. Thanks for the heads up. If I live to be a hundred, I'll give you credit. Wink c.i.
0 Replies