Summer Camp Anxiety

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:08 am
I have a daughter entering second grade who I am signing up for camp for part of this summer. It is the same camp she attended the previous year. As both us parents work she needs to attend the extended camp (3:00 to 6:00). She is upset about going to camp this summer because once many of the children leave from the regular camp - she says she gets bored. Not sure to what degree this is true, as she always seems occupied in some way when she was picked up last year.

She is quieter than most children and does have a tendency to get more anxious about things than an average child. I have reminded her of one counselor who she really liked (hoping he will be there this summer). But she still says she doesn't want to go. It is paid for so tough tollameys she is going. But as a caring parent I would like to lower her anxiety level. Any thoughts on how I can decrease this anxiety?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:05 am
do you think maybe she was having a problem with one of the other kids, and didn't tell you about it?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
Anything is possible, but I don't think so as she hasn't started yet. The last time she was at this camp was last August. She will be going for 4 weeks starting the end of July. In the mean time she is at various other types of camp/activities/grandparents house.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
Anything is possible, but I don't think so as she hasn't started yet. The last time she was at this camp was last August. She will be going for 4 weeks starting the end of July. In the mean time she is at various other types of camp/activities/grandparents house.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:30 am
No, I mean was she maybe having a problem with one of the kids LAST year when she went there.

I still remember that darn Teddy Casper making fun of my lisp when I lost my front tooth. I hated him, but never told my mother.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
I'll ask her, but she never seems to have a problem with telling me about some one she doesn't like or some one that done something she hasn't like.

Prior quotes from my daughter -
i.e. "I hate when Fred follows me around, its annoying." "I don't like Hilda because she pulled my hair."
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
I'm just asking because although my upbringing and your daughters are completely different, I can remember summer camp type stuff when I was little.

Actually, back then camps and what not I suppose weren't as popular as now. My only knowledge of them was from watching a movie and it always seemed like such a horrible experience. I was deathly afraid of the water, and when I just couldn't make myself get in the water to swim, my mom would tell me..."if you don't get in that water, I'm going to send you to SUMMER CAMP." Shocked

So I course I identified something like that with Auschwitz.

There was some kind of local program, and I go be told to go there every day. I didn't know any kids there, and they sure as hell didn't seem to want to go out of their way to talk to me, hence I was miserable. That is, until I learned the trick of not actually going there when sent off. Instead, I sneak into the library and read books in the nice cool rooms.

Anyway - like I said, I know it's a completely different experience for your kid.

But you know what? You never really know what/why someone feels the way they do about something. I know I really couldn't have expressed back then how much I dreaded all that summer time stuff. Actually, I'm having a hard time now.

It's gotta be something though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:35 pm
Thanks - I will talk to the counselors about it when I drop her off. I wouldn't doubt though the fear of not knowing anyone initially - which she quite possibly she will not know any of the kids unless she remembers them from last year. One saving grace is her kindergarten teacher has taken a job there (it is a YMCA camp) and she now works at the Y - not directly in the camp program, but she gets everyone registered. So my daughter was very excited about the possibility of seeing her.

She loves swimming - is very advanced for her age in swimming (only one in her prior swimming level at her age) and sports so those things should not intimidate her. I think it is the shyness - meeting new friends. She was also excited as last year the camp counselor she loved was leading the group in the higher age group (which she will be in this summer). I hope he is there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 02:25 pm
Linkat--

Perhaps her complaint is a way of saying she wants a larger voice in planning her summer schedule?

"Ask me first" is a hard concept for a small child to grasp, even if they feel they should be consulted.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
Linkat--

Perhaps her complaint is a way of saying she wants a larger voice in planning her summer schedule?

"Ask me first" is a hard concept for a small child to grasp, even if they feel they should be consulted.
0 Replies