Threat to your kids life

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:34 am
Where do you draw the line today on a real threat and innocent threat of a bully?

The mrs was just called by another parent explaining that a 12 old child X has decided to shoot my Child.

Do you elevate the information to school officials, law enforcement? parent of the bully? or ALL ???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,586 • Replies: 31
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:39 am
Oh my god.

Definitely parent of the bully. I guess start there, get a feel for things. Also talk to the person who first called.

How horrible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:39 am
These days, i wouldn't take the chance. Tell law-enforcement, tell the school authorities, tell anyone you can think of. It's too easy to get a gun these days, and children lack the judgment to see in advance the consequences of their actions. My advice, for whatever worth you may place on it, is not to take this lightly.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:40 am
I would say all, starting with the school officials. Whether or not the kid meant it, a death threat of any sort can be considered a police matter, as well as a school matter. In today's school climate, you can't afford to not take every precaution.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:40 am
Holy Cow! Geez, Husker, I don't know. That sounds pretty serious. Can you fist call that kid's parents?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:41 am
I am afraid that things are not as innocent as it was when we were kids. Children DO have guns, and shooting other kids is not unknown.

First, I would Immediately talk to the parents. If you are not satisfied with the results of the talk, I would go to the school, and the police. Please don't wait!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:47 am
Call the school principal ASAP...tell the secretary it's an emergency.

All schools in Oklahoma are required by law to promptly report such threats (or reports of threats) to local law enforcement. A threat involving a weapon is grounds for immediate suspension if not expulsion. The schools have a "zero tolerance" for such threats, and a 12 year old is undoubtedly aware of that.

Ask the principal if he/she is planning to talk to the child's parents immediately. If not, do so yourself. And follow up to make sure law enforcement is aware & investigating. The police here treat it very seriously these days.

Please let us know what action is taken, okay?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:52 am
The woman that called us went to the parents. Her daughter told her - cause she's in the tell mom everything stage. The bully parents - oh well really "we'll take to here". Of so we already know this family is loose (best word for now).

Mrs called the school - guy in charge is out for the day and the next guy will not be in until an hour until school starts. I said don't send her until you have an understanding with school officials, and they know what's going on!!! I'd be all over this but I'm an hour away in traffic.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:58 am
by the way - I feel pretty out of control, not being close to the situation and nobody answers the telephone at home.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:58 am
Good, husker.

Keep your child at home until you are satisfied the school officials & police have this under control. Can't be too safe. Tell the principal you will pick up class work for your child to make sure he/she doesn't fall behind.

(Not surprised about the bully's parents. Let the principal & police deal with them.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:12 am
Quote:
The bully parents - oh well really "we'll take to here". Of so we already know this family is loose (best word for now).

Husker- I know that you are upset- and I have no idea what the above sentence means! If I were you (and for your own peace of mind) I would report it to the police. Let it be on record.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:16 am
Law enforcement, right now.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:23 am
I'm really PO'd right now. Mrs is in-accessable and being honored at a different school at this very instant (this was a complete surprise) I'm told by the lady answering the telephone; and daughter is at her school. I'm gunna give the benefit for the moment - that she has things under control - but I doubt it!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:25 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
The bully parents - oh well really "we'll take to here". Of so we already know this family is loose (best word for now).

Husker- I know that you are upset- and I have no idea what the above sentence means! If I were you (and for your own peace of mind) I would report it to the police. Let it be on record.

sorry Phoenix - frustration and dyslexia setting kicking in! fingers not working with keyboard.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:53 am
Ok - update - I have people involved at the school (teacher level) I can trust. Daughter seeked out the PE teacher and told him everything. Discussions are in progress at the school.

I used to coach his older kids. For now it things look contained. He'll get the right things done.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:54 am
Threat to your kids life
By all means go to police and pricipal. It's your kid's life. There can't be any maybes on this. The alternative is simply put too horrible to contemplate. Good Luck. Our hearts are with you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:56 am
Glad things are under control, husker. Thanks for keeping us updated.
0 Replies

Gen

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 09:59 am
Frustrating and Frightning! Keep us posted Husker, as I can't offer any other advise that the other members haven't offered.

Your family are in our's prayers!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 10:49 am
Back in the office out of my meeting now. No voice messages that's I good thing!!! Smile
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 12:13 pm
Sometimes we tend underestimate the danger presented by bullies. In the high school that I graduated from in 1979 there were two instances of suicide of bullied kids. Harassment often bore sexual character, and it is necessary to mention that none of the bullies that tried to force the weaker kids to perform on them oral sex was gay. While defending myself, I almost committed a criminal offense: when I was 15, some older kid attempted to force me to perform the above sexual action; I took an iron rod and caused him serious body damage, including broken ribs, brain concussion, fracture of skull and rupture of spleen. I must make it clear: this was the only brawl I have ever taken part in during 40 years of life.
Teachers made everything possible to avoid intervention of police into the school's internal affairs, and this made bullies impune in most of times. Parents of the unlucky bully did not complain to the police since investigation could bring their son behind the bars for attempted homosexual rape (I must make a remark: he did not succeed doing anything; at the very moment he tried to hit me for refusal to do what he wanted, he got my elbow into his nose).
0 Replies