Why do Americans report having fewer close friends?

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 05:18 pm
Americans discard friends, study says
ELY PORTILLO; Knight Ridder Newspapers
Last updated: June 23rd, 2006

WASHINGTON - Americans, who shocked pollsters in 1985 when they said they had only three close friends, today say they have just two. And the number who say they've no one to discuss important matters with has doubled to 1 in 4, according to a nationwide survey to be released today.
It found that men and women of every race, age and education level reported fewer intimate friends than the same survey turned up in 1985. Their remaining confidants were more likely to be members of their nuclear family than in 1985, according to the study, but intimacy within families was down, too. The findings are reported in this month's issue of the American Sociological Review.

Weakening bonds of friendship, which other studies affirm, have far-reaching effects. Among them: fewer people to turn to for help in crises such as Hurricane Katrina, fewer watchdogs to deter neighborhood crime, fewer visitors for hospital patients and fewer participants in community groups. The decline, which was greatest in estimates of the number of friends outside the family, also puts added pressure on spouses, families and counselors.

"People are isolated in their own families," said Laurie Thorner, a therapist in Annapolis, Md. "I definitely agree that there's less support for people."

Study co-author Lynn Smith-Lovin, a sociologist at Duke University in Durham, N.C., called the sharp declines startling, and added, "You don't usually expect major features of social life to change very much from year to year or even decade to decade."

One explanation for friendship's decline is that adults are working longer hours and socializing less. That includes women, who when homemakers tended to have strong community networks. In addition, commutes are longer, and TV viewing and computer use are up. Another factor, Smith-Lovin said, might have been confusion among some of those polled on how to count e-mail friendships.

As connections to neighbors and social clubs decline, Smith-Lovin said, "From a social point of view it means you've got more people isolated in a small network of people who are just like them."

She speculated that social isolation might have made Hurricane Katrina worse. "The people we saw sitting on roofs after Katrina hit were probably people without close ties to someone with a car to get them out," she said.

She's right, said Bob Howard, spokesman for the American Red Cross' Hurricane Relief Project. "People that had friends and family were probably most likely to evacuate," he said.

Even before Katrina, Red Cross volunteering - an effort for which friends often are recruiters - was way off, spokeswoman Marietta Basel said. It's down from 1.3 million volunteers in 1996 to 820,000 last year. It's a time problem, according to Basel. "People don't have time to volunteer in a registered fashion and agree to volunteer X number of hours a week."

Robert Putnam, the author of "Bowling Alone," the 2000 best-seller on declining American civic life, said his more recent research generally tracked the findings of Smith-Lovin and Miller McPherson, a sociologist at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

"We would actually think that the trends have leveled off a little bit" since 2000, but not reversed, said Putnam, who teaches public policy at Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass.

People pay a price when bonds of friendship weaken, he continued. "Communities that have tighter social networks have lower crime and lower mortality and less corruption and more effective government and less tax evasion."

The Duke-Arizona research team's findings are based on questions that they added to one of the nation's classic attitude polls, the General Social Survey, which the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center has conducted every two years since 1972.

In the face-to-face survey, 1,467 people - a nationally representative sample - were asked to count and describe all the people with whom they'd discussed matters important to them in the previous six months.

The question asked in 2004 was the same as that asked in 1985, although the term "discussed" might have led some recent respondents to omit friendships sustained by e-mail, Smith-Lovin admitted.

"But if you need someone to pick up your kid from the day care center because you're stuck at work, you can't e-mail someone in New York," she said.
----------------------------------------

To read the study on Americans' friendships, go to www. asanet. org. Under the "Journal Highlights" section, click on the link that begins "Social Isolation in America."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 744 • Replies: 16
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:37 am
I'd like to offer a simplistic explanation to a phenomenon which probably is quite complex.

The survey observes that community groups are in decline. Benevolent groups suchs as Elks, Eagles, and Moose, have all experienced substantial drops in membership. These fraternal orders once filled a need in their day, servicing their communities in various ways. But at their core was the odd notion that to be a member of their elite club, to be welcome in their lodge, one had to believe in God. In order to help people and shoulder your civic responsibility, a silly superstitious belief was necessary. I personally was persona non grata.

It seems to me we've grown as a nation. These organizations appear quaint to our enlightened eyes. Government has largely assumed much of the social safety net that once was their domain. I am a welcome, contributing member of this new structure by of way of taxes I pay, and there are no litmus tests required of me. I much prefer this.

But yet one can't help but notice the personal touch is gone.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:38 am
Bookmarking - this finding is in line with my own experience of the differences between friendship among (US) Americans and Europeans.

I'll elaborate later.

KP
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 08:49 am
I hqve a lot of acquaintances whose company I enjoy... and I am a person that can be called on by most for favors and courtesies... but I have practically no close friends in the real world. Don't need 'em. I have a couple, and squinney is the best friend I could ever hope to have. That'll do.

disclaimer I have many real friends on A2K but they are cyber friends that I've never met personally.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 09:41 am
BBB
In 2002, I left all of my family and friends in California and moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I didn't know anyone---at age 73. Well, I did know Asherman, but only over the Internet.

So I know what it is to not have any close friends nearby. But I've made new friends, several of them very close. And A2K played a role in that. I met Dyslexia and Diane via A2K at the 2003 Albuquerque Gathering. We became friends while they still lived in colorado and I count them among my closest friends when they moved to Albuquerque. And Osso Buco has also moved to Albuquerque.

Can dogs be counted as close friends? If so, I count Dolly and Madison among my closest friends.

This year, my son and daughter-in-law moved to Albuquerque, so my circle of family and friends has grown. It's a comforting feeling.

BBB
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:04 pm
I think it is all to do with your insistence on conducting discourse by way of subjective assertions none of which stand up to scrutiny but are nevertheless believed to be the Holy Grail of pure Truth by the asserter.

Which is another way of saying that you're fucked.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 06:58 pm
spendius wrote:
I think it is all to do with your insistence on conducting discourse by way of subjective assertions none of which stand up to scrutiny but are nevertheless believed to be the Holy Grail of pure Truth by the asserter.

Which is another way of saying that you're ****.

I"m not going to take that kind of **** from you mutha phucka......

(because I don't understand what the hell it is you said)... Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 07:02 pm
There's a long thread about this already:

Americans' Feel Close Circle Of Friends Shrinking
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:07 pm
You eventually get to the mirror.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:27 pm
except you, for you see spendi , you cast no reflection.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 06:32 pm
How could I? I have no reflection. I read and understood the Narcissus myth.

But I know you think myths have nothing to teach us which is a view I do not share.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 04:39 am
when and where did I ever say that? Myths often stand as examples of what NOT to do in similar occasions.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 09:22 am
BBB
To see your reflection in a mirror is to see your own soul, which is why a vampire, who are without a soul, have no reflection.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 06:14 pm
That's astounding BBB.

So I presume you looking in the mirror a lot is scientific proof of you having a soul. Amazing!

How could I have missed such an obvious fact?

What's a vampire anyway? Do you have to be one to know one?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 07:18 pm
BBB
Don't get in a dither, it just an old myth to enrich Farmerman's collection.

BBB
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:12 am
Like enriching the soil eh?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 06:36 am
spendi
Quote:
Like enriching the soil eh?

Thats it? no Pre-Raphealite bullshit or pre 70's Bob Dylan? Wow our writing is getting lean.
0 Replies