Laser eye surgery

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:04 pm
JLN - what was done decades ago involved slitting the eye in a spoke pattern, which would flatten the lens.

with a laser, it's done this way.

A very fine blade slices off the covering of the lens of your eye, leaving it attached by a hinge (doesn't slice it completely off)

Then the laser shapes the lens based on your particular needs. If the distance between your lens and the back of your eye was too long, it flattens the lens, tricking the eye into thinking the distance is shorter. If the distance is too short, it makes a "donut" shape fooling the eye into thinking it's longer.

Then, the flap is flopped back in place and that eye is done. Care must be taken that there is no wrinkle in the flap. It's like dealing with a piece of saran wrap.

The latest and greatest removes the lens and replaces it with an artificial one, that has hinges on the side that move with your natural eye movement, bringing your eyes in a out of focus.

Lasik's been around enough years I think it's proven itself....

I'm gonna go find some pictures!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:08 pm
Thanks, Chai.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:12 pm
Here we go....this is exactly what happens.
Your eye is fixed in place and you're staring at a red dot, so you don't have to worry about moving.

Believe me, you are concentrating VERY HARD on not moving.

Plus, they give you a Valium.

Actually, when they were doing the second eye, I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing, since I knew what was coming....however, my left foot didn't get the message. I must have started jittering it unbeknownest to me, because all of a sudden the Dr. said very sternly "HEY! Stop That!"

ok, ok.......concentrate, concentrate.

e-pohl, it might be cheaper where you live, but follow-up visits are very important year to year. So unless you live near TJ, it's gonna be a hassel, or else you won't take the follow-up you need.

http://www.eyeclinicpc.com/lasik/lasik%20steps1.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 03:36 pm
Here's the one, callled crystalens, that moves with your eye on a hinge.

I found their website, and there's a little video of someone getting the surgrey (doesn't show the actually procedure for the squemish)....but it does shoe the guy sit up and immediately having really clear sight. You can scan through most of it.

Worth taking a look at....Crstalens

http://www.crystalens.com/test/images/3DLens.gif
0 Replies

el pohl

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:07 pm
Oh yes yes, you need follow-ups!!!

I was able of watching the live operation of my dad through a TV feed. Wow, I never imagined that seeing my dad's eye getting pierced by a surgical knife would be that exciting. Something for the ages!
0 Replies

LuckyLad

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 01:00 pm
WOW! Fantastic info Chai! I heard that the machine that does LASIK was demo'd for doctors and here is what they did. They put a tomato in a paint can shaker and used this machine to write the company's name on the tomato Shocked ! Basicly to show that some movement won't effect the outcome of the surgery. Your leg must have been shake'n worse than you thought :wink: .

Thanks again for everyones info, I hope to repay you someday. About the only thing I can think of is how to cook great brisket and boston butt. Otherwise it has to do with beer and jokes Rolling Eyes . Not much talent in these boots.
0 Replies