Dragon or Long (Chinese Dragon)?

fansy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 11:06 pm
We don't know since when the early translators equated Dragon and Phoenix of western culture with the Chinese mythical Long (龙) and Feng (凤)respectively, as shown in the following definitions found from answer.com:
"The Chinese dragon or Oriental dragon (Traditional:龍; Simplifed:龙; pinyin: lóng; Cantonese Yale: lùhng; Japanese: ryū or tatsu 竜; Korean: ryong; hangul: 룡; Thai: มังกรจีน mungkorn; Vietnamese: Rồng) is a mythical Chinese creature that also appears in other East Asian cultures."
"Fenghuang (Chinese: 鳳凰; pinyin: fènghuáng; Japanese: 鳳凰 houou; Korean: 봉황 bonghwang; Vietnamese: Phượng Hoàng) are a species of mythological Asian birds that reign over all other birds. The males are called feng and the females huang. In modern times, however, such a distinction of gender is often no longer made and the feng and huang are blurred into a single feminine entity so that the bird can be paired with the Chinese dragon, which has male connotations."

What I want my unknown friends to do is to supply me with some proverbs in your own language (but I need English translations) in which either Long/Feng or Dragon/Phonix appears, showing the wisdom of your nation or people. Then we will be able to see how the use these proverbs reflect your cultures, showing the similarities or differences between cultures.

Don't forget to tell us your nationality.
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 487 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 02:23 pm
A2K can't show Chinese characters.

Here in the States we don't talk about dragons much--unless you are into fantasy fiction or role playing games.
0 Replies