Etymology of artichoke.

fansy

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:18 pm
What are the etymological meaning of the English word "artichoke", the Italian word "articicco", the Spanish word "alcarchofa", and the Arabic word "al-kharshuf" respectively? I thank you very much in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:23 pm
I know of artichokes in italian as carciofi; don't have my dizionario handy right now though.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:35 pm
from http://www.etymonline.com/

Quote:
artichoke
1531, from articiocco, Northern It. variant of It. arcicioffo, from O.Sp. alcarchofa, from Ar. al-kharshof "artichoke." The Northern It. variation probably is from infl. of ciocco "stump," and folk-etymology has twisted the word in Eng. The ending is probably infl. by choke, and early forms of the word in Eng. include archecokk, hortichock, artychough, hartichoake. The plant was known in Italy by 1450s, brought to Florence from Naples in 1466, and introduced in England in the reign of Henry VIII.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:40 pm
cool...
0 Replies