Beware the "Thought Police"!

NickFun

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:19 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:
t's ACTIONS that people are supposed to get arrested for

Nick, you will probably say that another half dozen times as this thread loses steam, but it's not true. Conspiracy to commit crimes is a crime.

"Conspiracy" suggests that the people had not only the intentions but also the means to carry out the offense. In this case they did not. Nor was there any suggested way they could aquire the means.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 02:09 pm
NickFun wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I think slapping mean, though. I just stare fixedly at the genitalia of an offender until he blushes. Works like a charm.

Not for me. I would have said "see anything you like?"

And I would have said, nope, not in this shop.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 05:13 pm
Catching up a bit late here, but I'm wondering .... were they just chatting about it, or did they have detailed plans, maps, materials for making explosives? Did they belong to a "cell"? That sort of thing could suggest they had nasty intentions!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 06:13 pm
They did not belong to a cell. They were Al-Qaeda wannabes. Actually, they were a bunch of fruitcakes. They didn't go beyond talking about it. There was once a time in this country when you actually had to DO something to get arrested.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 06:23 pm
Well, that'll teach 'em for talking tough! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 06:37 pm
NickFun wrote:
They did not belong to a cell. They were Al-Qaeda wannabes. Actually, they were a bunch of fruitcakes. They didn't go beyond talking about it. There was once a time in this country when you actually had to DO something to get arrested.

Actually, has not conspiracy to commit a crime always been prosecutable?

Again, the point at which a "conspiracy" becomes more than blowing off steam is the point to decide, but I do not think you are factually correct.
0 Replies