Beware the "Thought Police"!

NickFun

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:57 pm
Just when I thought we had reached rock bottom, the bottom fell out and the United States reached a new low! According to every news report in the world, seven men were charged on Friday with conspiring to blow up the landmark Sears Tower in Chicago. The article later stated that the men didn't actually DO anything -- they just TALKED about it. None of them had ever even BEEN to Chicago! The article in Yahoo News reads in part:

But Attorney General Alberto Gonzales told a news conference in Washington that the plotting by the "home-grown terrorism cell" never went beyond the earliest stages.

"There was no immediate threat," Gonzales said, acknowledging the defendants never had contact with al Qaeda and did not have weapons or explosives.

Has anyone here ever though or talked about doing something nasty? If bad thoughts are a crime then I have just killed the President so you might as well lock me up and throw away the key!

This mean the guys did not actually DO anything! I recall the days of my youth when you didn't get locked up or even charged for that matter until you actually committed a crime! Is this country totally fucked up or is it just me???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,472 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:00 pm
Not just you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:21 pm
You might be suffering the early stages of what is known as the Revenge of the Oppressed. That is a process whereby an imperial agenda gets sucked into a colony and is eventually absorbed by it and disappears from history.

It is why we Brits got rid of our Empire before such a fate could happen.

But please note the "might". I have no idea really but it has happened before.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:32 pm
This whole thing looks like more hype than danger. I don't doubt that there may be more home grown terrorist out there. Bush has done a wonderful job in creating more terrorist. I don't know what they would have done without him.

Quote:
Nor have the authorities unearthed much of a terror threat. The Justice Department claims that 401 people have been charged with "terrorism-related offences" since the 2001 attacks, and that 212 have been convicted. In fact only a tiny number of these were true terrorists.

The tendency - duly followed last week by Mr Gonzales - has been to hype. The precedent was famously set by his predecessor, John Ashcroft, who called a press conference during a visit to Moscow in 2002 to announce the arrest of Jose Padilla, the so-called "dirty bomber" said to be preparing an attack on Washington with a radioactive device.

Mr Padilla languished incommunicado in a navy brig without charge for over three years. He has been transferred to a civilian prison, and faces trial in Miami later this year on different, much vaguer, terrorist charges. An alleged sleeper cell was unearthed in Detroit, but those convictions were quashed in 2004 when it emerged that prosecutors had manipulated evidence. In December 2005, the trial of Sami al-Arian, accused of links with Islamic Jihad terrorists, ended in embarrassment for the government when the Florida university professor was acquitted.

SOURCE
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:35 pm
I feel all safe and warm knowing that Bush has me covered and is winning the war on terrorism. I have not seen one single terrorist in my neighborhood.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:39 pm
It is a difficult problem. One cannot wait until another large building collapses. On the other hand one cannot call some people terrorists because they jabber about plans to commit something.
They could just be some fools who are smoking the curtains and don't know what they are talking about.
Throw them in the clink for a few weeks for talking dangerous nonsense.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:41 pm
"Talking" and "doing" are two diffrent things. If we locked up everyone who talked about doing dangerous things then 9/10 of the country would be locked up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
What a sad thing to say about your compatriots.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:56 pm
Who Are The Brain Police?
Frank Zappa

Aahh ah ahahahaaa, aahh ah ahahahaaa
What will you do if we let you go home,
And the plastic's all melted,
And so is the chrome?
WHO ARE THE BRAIN POLICE?

What will you do when the label comes off,
And the plastic's all melted,
And the chrome is too soft?

Aaahhh!

Think I'm very tired and I'm going to die
I think I'm going to die, I think I'm going to die

What will you do if the people you knew
Were the plastic that melted,
And the chromium too?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:07 pm
If you are on an airplane and you say that you have a bomb, you will be arrested and taken to the police station.
Jokes like that do not go over very well.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:11 pm
i always heard that if you wanted to be really safe, you should always carry a bomb with you on an airplane, i mean the chances of there being one bomb on an airplane are already prety high, but the chances of there being two bombs are almost astronomical
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:13 pm
Um...that's on an airplane. In one's own home one should be able to discuss anything they like. It's ACTIONS that people are supposed to get arrested for. I hope these guys are vindicated.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:19 pm
well I don't know about all this, I once had thoughts about a waitress, she put down the plate she was taking to another table and slapped me in the face and I hadn't uttered a word.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:44 pm
I dunno.......surely it depends on how and with what seriousness they were discussing stuff?

"Hey, imagine how we'd blow up the Sears Tower, hohoho" is one thing, whereas serious discussion with evidence of real intent seems to me to be another.

How in hell you prove it was one or the other is the detail in which resides the devil...

But, surely we don't have to wait until another few thousand people die before moving in and arresting?

I do not think it is an either/or.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:51 pm
I can remember several Egyptian men were eating lunch in a diner on their way to some hospital in florida and the waitress overheard them talking and concluded they were intending to blowup something with an airplane and there ensued a multi-state search and the governor of Florida said (in effect) "I don't know what they are guilty of but they are definitely guilty of something."
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
well I don't know about all this, I once had thoughts about a waitress, she put down the plate she was taking to another table and slapped me in the face and I hadn't uttered a word.

I had the same thing happen. They shouldn't make those skirts so short that a guy can look under 'em.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I can remember several Egyptian men were eating lunch in a diner on their way to some hospital in florida and the waitress overheard them talking and concluded they were intending to blowup something with an airplane and there ensued a multi-state search and the governor of Florida said (in effect) "I don't know what they are guilty of but they are definitely guilty of something."

Indeedy doody.....hysteria never helps, and bad governments love to fan it.

Still, methinks there is a middle way.

Anyhoo, you and Nick both agree the waitress was right in her suspicions.

I think slapping mean, though. I just stare fixedly at the genitalia of an offender until he blushes. Works like a charm.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:09 pm
Anybody read James Michner's The Drifters?

In the story, he had a group aiding draft dodgers come up with a suggestion. Keep in mind that committing a felony was a definate exclusion to the draft. Also note that killing a bald eagle is a misdemeanor. Now, you don't actually want to kill a bird, and where would you find an eagle in Philadelphia, in the second place. No problem. All you need to do was make plans with at least two like minded individuals, and presto, you had a conspiracy to commit a crime, which was a felony. Oh, and you also had to find a federal prosecutor willing to mess with something like this.

In any event, if you can believe a fictional source, such a principle may exist.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 12:55 pm
Quote:
t's ACTIONS that people are supposed to get arrested for

Nick, you will probably say that another half dozen times as this thread loses steam, but it's not true. Conspiracy to commit crimes is a crime.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 01:17 pm
dlowan wrote:

I think slapping mean, though. I just stare fixedly at the genitalia of an offender until he blushes. Works like a charm.

Not for me. I would have said "see anything you like?"
0 Replies