How did you treat the Jewish people?

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
'End Times' Religious Groups Want Apocalypse Soon

'End times' religious groups want apocalypse sooner than later, and they're relying on high tech -- and red heifers -- to hasten its arrival.
By Louis Sahagun, Times Staff Writer
June 22, 2006

http://www.latimes.com/images/standard/latimeslogo.gif

Quote:
For Christians, the future of Israel is the key to any end-times scenario, and various groups are reaching out to Jews — or proselytizing among them — to advance the Second Coming.

A growing number of fundamentalist Christians in mostly Southern states are adopting Jewish religious practices to align themselves with prophecies saying that Gentiles will stand as one with Jews when the end is near.

Evangelist John C. Hagee of the 19,000-member Cornerstone Church in San Antonio has helped 12,000 Russian Jews move to Israel, and donated several million dollars to Israeli hospitals and orphanages.

"We are the generation that will probably see the rapture of the church," Hagee said, referring to a moment in advance of Jesus' return when the world's true believers will be airlifted into heaven.

"In Christian theology, the first thing that happens when Christ returns to Earth is the judgment of nations," said Hagee, who wears a Jewish prayer shawl when he ministers. "It will have one criterion: How did you treat the Jewish people? Anyone who understands that will want to be on the right side of that question. Those who are anti-Semitic will go to eternal damnation."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,126 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:45 am
I think the old guy's theology may be a bit off--but if he can scare anti-Semites into treating my peeps decently, good for him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:13 pm
I can certainly think of worse things for a preacher to preach, like...Kill the Infidels.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:33 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I can certainly think of worse things for a preacher to preach, like...Kill the Infidels.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 03:49 pm
Wandering Jew - Propaganda for the Insipid

That is why I jumped at my grandfather's invitation to attend the annual American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) policy conference in Washington D.C., where I could join more than 1,000 students and 4,000 adults in discussing the future of Israel. I returned from the conference, however, feeling manipulated, disturbed and disgusted with a great deal of what I witnessed there.

The first thing I noticed about the conference, besides the sheer volume of participants, was the carefully manufactured atmosphere of fear and urgency. The cavernous hall that hosted all our meals and plenary sessions was always filled with dramatic classical music, red lighting and gigantic signs reading 'Now Is The Time.' That, combined with the montages of terrorism footage projected onto six giant screens, whipped the audience into a 'Save Israel' fervor that most found inspiring. By the time we finished our meal, the audience seemed eager to agree to anything that would protect Israel ' even war.

Continued...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
I got a fervor, and the only prescription for my fervor is more Save Israel!!

I like it! It's catchy!! Very Happy

All the megalomillionaire Jews controlling Hollywood will like it, too. We'll make billions together!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 09:50 pm
I treat Jewish folks just fine.

But not because the Bible says you'll go to hell if you don't, because it doesn't.

I respect John Hagee, and respectfully disagree with him on this particular issue.

One of my Jewish friends volunteers at the local county Christmas bureau, providing presents and Christmas meals for needy families. But we were friends long before I knew that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:39 pm
I like Jews.

They're funny and they're smart, even if they are sometimes obnoxious and care too much about money.

I really like Israelis. They're tough and not pasty.

Are they the same as Jews?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:50 am
I like Jews - as long as they don't get uppity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:29 am
Good grief.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:29 am
snood wrote:
I like Jews - as long as they don't get uppity.

I know what you mean --- not like some certain negroes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:33 am
(er, don't assume my "good grief" to mean I am pro Israeli government policy.)

There is this human tendency to categorize the world. That might be more of an evil than much else that seems more obvious.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:34 am
I guess my 'good grief' didn't register, that from reading the questions on the thread to date. Well, then, bonk, bonk, and then, bonk.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:41 am
ossobuco wrote:
(er, don't assume my "good grief" to mean I am pro Israeli government policy.)

There is this human tendency to categorize the world. That might be more of an evil than much else that seems more obvious.

Heaven forbid!

Actually, most of us were tingling with expectation of what you might have meant.

Good God, some of us did hope beyond hope that "Good Grief" meant that ossobuco had thrown his lot with the Jews, and so it is a damned good thing that you disabuse us of any such ridiculous notion, because while it is a crushing disappointment to learn that you do not support the Jews, we wouldn't want to mistake, for a second, the opinion of ossobuco!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
ossobuco wrote:

There are two kinds of people in the world.

There are those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world, and there are those who don't. Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 05:58 pm
joking.

okay. bad joke....
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:05 pm
Would "Idiots" be an incorrect word to use.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:20 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Are they the same as Jews?

If they're Arabs, I think not. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:31 pm
Finn says -
Heaven forbid!

Actually, most of us were tingling with expectation of what you might have meant.

Good God, some of us did hope beyond hope that "Good Grief" meant that ossobuco had thrown his lot with the Jews, and so it is a damned good thing that you disabuse us of any such ridiculous notion, because while it is a crushing disappointment to learn that you do not support the Jews, we wouldn't want to mistake, for a second, the opinion of ossobuco!

endquote, Finn.

I guess I start out posting in some sort of disarray re other posters understanding of whether I threw my lot with the jews or not.

That's reasonable, as I don't post on these subjects often.

I started out rather pealing in pleasure about victory in '67 for Israel... when it was happening.

Even then I didn't equate Israel as a state - with everyone I knew who was Jewish. I just listened. I read various books. I am from Los Angeles. I know jewish people articulate on many issues who often rail at each other. I listen, when I can.

I lost it, personally, with the settlements. I can understand the angst and the power for going there, but don't agree with it.

At this point I see Israel as the Mammoth to our US elephant.

Ordinary people see past all this and want peace.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 08:37 pm
I start talking here as someone mocked. Oh, thanks, she says sardonically. I'm tired of thickets of hostility.

I'm more interested myself in whatever wisps of conversation we can have, Finn.
0 Replies