what the differences among "to check ,to examine ,to inspect"?thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:44 am
"To check" means "to verify the status of." It is a very general term and could be used in many contexts. "To check on the children," for example, means "to see if the children are okay." "To check the time" means "to see what time it is." "To check the weather" means "too see what the weather is like." The phrase can also mean "to look for (in)"; for example, if you lose your keys and I tell you "to check the kitchen," I am saying you should look in the kitchen to see if your keys are there.

"To examine" is a little more specific; it means "to observe closely." It implies that you are concentrating harder than usual. We say that doctors "examine their patients," and scientists "examine specimens."

"To inspect" is almost the same as "to examine," but it also implies that you are examining with the intent of reviewing or evaluating. When a commander "inspects" his troops, he or she is examining them but is also making sure they are up to standard. (Let me know if you do not understand the phrase "up to standard.") When detectives "inspect" an apartment, they are examining it with the intent of finding evidence of something.
0 Replies