How can the average person get a DNA test?

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:31 pm
I find the work that has been done on mitochondrial DNA and on the y-chromosome exciting. I feel wonderful about the fact that all humans are one race.

I would like to have my DNA tested. There is the family legend of our origins, but, I would like to test them. Can one simply contact a DNA researcher? Is there a registrar?

A2Kers are good at coming up with all sorts of info. Can anyone anwer this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 728 • Replies: 6
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:00 pm
Here ya go..... http://www.dnaancestryproject.com/ydna_intro_howto.php
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:55 pm
Re: How can the average person get a DNA test?
plainoldme wrote:
I feel wonderful about the fact that all humans are one race.

Why are you emotional about your erroneous conclusion?

If there's only one race, why do most medical trials on drugs ask the participant for his/her race and why after many, many years of experimentation, scientists now know that some meds are truly race-specific.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 03:24 pm
boomerang -- Thanks for the link but the price is beyond my budget.

Anyone out there ever participated in DNA profiling?
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm
Re: How can the average person get a DNA test?
plainoldme wrote:

I would like to have my DNA tested. There is the family legend of our origins, but, I would like to test them. Can one simply contact a DNA researcher? Is there a registrar?

A2Kers are good at coming up with all sorts of info. Can anyone anwer this?

You can find much info here: https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/
The price for a test is affordable I believe, however I am not sure about the quality and corectness of National geographic tests, I would not suggest them unconditionally.

plainoldme wrote:
I find the work that has been done on mitochondrial DNA and on the y-chromosome exciting. I feel wonderful about the fact that all humans are one race.

Sorry, but the decipherement of the DNA not many years ago proved that many races exist with major differences between them, probably you wanted to say something else here.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:16 pm
Sorry, but the decipherement of the DNA not many years ago proved that many races exist with major differences between them, probably you wanted to say something else here.

HUH???!!!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:19 pm
You can find much info here: https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/
The price for a test is affordable I believe, however I am not sure about the quality and corectness of National geographic tests, I would not suggest them unconditionally.

The National Geographic Society funded the world wide research on tracking the voyage of man out of Africa and around the globe and the scientist who headed the research and reported it in a PBS program is now their explorer-in-residence.
0 Replies