To limp home

possopo

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:22 am
He limped home and into the finals.

What is the exact meaning of "limped home" in this case. Does it mean that he finally made it to the finals but with difficulty?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 486 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:54 am
Yes, essentially, that is what it means. The sentence, out of context, is not clear. However, one assumes that it is not a race, because it were unlikely that he could have qualified for the finals if he were limping by the end of a race. "Home" could mean getting back to a place from which he could start again to make a good performance, and therefore enter the finals. "Home" could also refer to the game of baseball, in which the starting point for a base runner is called "home plate," or just "home." A base runner in baseball must proceed to first base, second base, third base and then go back to the starting point--go "home"--in order to score.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 08:01 am
thank you, I think I got it. actually. it's a rider in a wakeboarding event who just fell into the water moments before the end of his run. so I guess the tv host is sort of saying a pun, the rider is limping because of the fall but still makes it to the finals.
0 Replies