Could you like to tell me the religions of the world ?

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:33 am
As we all know there are all kinds of religions in the world . But I am not clear about them .Could you like to tell me the religions of the world ? thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 642 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mh1985711

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:39 am
What is the meaning of "very" in this phrase &quot
You know the word "very " has so many meanings . So I want to know :what is the meaning of "very" in this phrase "his very life"? Thanks!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:39 pm
Mh--

"Religions of the World" is an enormous topic. You need a library, not a website thread.

As for "his very life"--everything was at stake, not only his money, his reputation and his sanity, but his life as well.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Dodekatheism, Zoroastrianism are some of them.
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 03:19 am
I can answer questions concerning Christian theology and Zoroastrianism.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 05:09 am
Check out this website. It will give you a good overview of just about all of the earth's religions:

http://www.beliefnet.com/

This is another great site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 07:07 am
Since this is the English forum, I'll confine my response to dealing with your use of the language.

Quote:
As we all know there are all kinds of religions in the world . But I am not clear about them .Could you like to tell me the religions of the world ? thanks!

The first sentence is alright except there should be no space between the final word and the grammatical mark ending the sentence. Also the initial word in the sentence is redundant. It's bad form to begin a sentence with "but". Finally, your choice of the word "could" is improper, it should be "would". Since you are making a request in this posting, it would be polite to replace your use of "like" with "please". Captitalize the final "thanks", and don't over use the exclamation mark.

A better construction of this post would read: "We all know there are all kinds of religion in the world. I am not clear about them. Would you please tell about the religions of the world? Thanks."

Quote:
You know the word "very " has so many meanings . So I want to know :what is the meaning of "very" in this phrase "his very life"?

The errors in this second post are similar to those in the first. You have a tendency to load up your sentences with redundant verbiage that only confuse the reader. Just by striking "You know" , "so", and "I want to know what is", your question becomes more direct and has less potential for error and misunderstanding.

Try this: "The word "very" has many meanings. What is the meaning of "very" in the phrase, "his very life"?

Note: To get this more compact and direct construction, it was necessary to move the word "is" from after "very".

I suggest you move the first question (re. religion) to the Religeous and Spirituality forum. You need to be more focused in your question, or you probably will not receive useful information.
0 Replies