Different Spanish accents in the letters g, c, x

Ellinas

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:21 am
In the Spanish spoken in Spain I know that c is pronounced like "th". For example in the words Andalucia, Valencia, Barcelona (sound like Andaluthia, Valenthia, Barthelona).

However I heard Spanish speakers pronouncing them as in English (s). For example I was listening to two different versions of the Che Guevara song. The words transparencia and presencia sounded transparensia and presencia in the first version, transparenthia and presenthia in the other one.

In which Spanish speaking countries c is pronounsed like s and in which like th?

Also in which Spanish countries g is pronounced like the English j and in which countries is pronounced like gh?

Finally, I would like to ask if x is pronounced like the Englis h in all the Spanish accents.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,109 • Replies: 12
No top replies

username

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:26 am
x in Mexico occurs in a lot of words of native origin, and the pronunciation varies. "Mexico" is usuallly pronounced "Mehico" , "Texas" is Tehas", "Oaxaca" is "WaHAka", but "Uxmal" is Ushmal". Agroup of people who live in Oaxaca, the Mixtecs are usually called "Mishtec" by non-Mixtecos", but they themselves seem to say "Mistec". Overall, probably "sh" for "x" is the most common pronunciation I've heard, I think.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:38 am
Xochimilco, the remnants of the Aztec "floating gardens" in Mexico City is an s one, "Sochimilco", and "xochitl", the Nahauatl (Aztec) word for "flower", which appears with some frequency, is "socihitl", now that I remember, so I guess "s" for "x" has some frequency too.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:38 am
OK, I didn't want to start a thread for this-- but does anyone know how to say God bless your family en espanole?

I mean I know Dios and familia and tu but not 'bless' and I don't know how to put them together. I have some guys returning who just bought furniture from me, and they laughed at me when I said something was diaz y cinco....I meant quince.

Meh!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:55 am
It might be this bus I'm not sure....

dios bendice su familia (God bless your family)

or

Dioses que bendice en su familia (Gods blessing on your family)

I like the 2nd one better...I got this off a spanish translation site...you have to be careful with them as it may not give accurate results as far as intent.

I don't think they were laughing AT you when you didn't say quince....either they were laughing WITH you are just got amused. Saying 10 and 5 just sounds like you were saying "4 score and 7 years"

If they WERE laughing at you....screw'em....you were trying, and I've found most people appreciate the effort.

When someone who only speaks spanish is trying to tell me something, even if they can just get out a couple of english nouns, or a verb, I try REALLY hard to figure out what they want or need....They're making an effort, and they don't need to be embarrassed.

I can read a teeny bit of Spanish, mostly through simple noun and verb recognition....then reading between the lines for the most obvious meaning. I certainly can't speak it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:05 am
I should have said laughing with. I thought they were fabulous. I wanted to show them I've been honing my Spanish while they were gone.

I do try to use the few phrases I know as a sign of some type of affection or affinity. They had big crosses on, and I was going to give them one of my decorative crosses when they return for the furniture.

Wanted something appropriate to say.

Thanks!!

Bend ee say? (bendice) I don't want to say God blast your family...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
blessing is bendicion, like in benediction.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:15 pm
Lash wrote:
OK, I didn't want to start a thread for this-- but does anyone know how to say God bless your family en espanole?

I mean I know Dios and familia and tu but not 'bless' and I don't know how to put them together. I have some guys returning who just bought furniture from me, and they laughed at me when I said something was diaz y cinco....I meant quince.

Meh!!

In EspaƱol you'd say Que Dios bendiga tu familia, (tu, your in the familiar sense) or Que Dios bendiga su familia (su, your in the formal one), 'may God bless your family.'

Quote:
Bend ee say? (bendice) I don't want to say God blast your family...

The sylables are ben DEE say. Bendice is the third person present indicative of bendecir, to bless. The third person present subjunctive is bendiga.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:50 pm
Re: Different Spanish accents in the letters g, c, x
Ellinas wrote:

In which Spanish speaking countries c is pronounsed like s and in which like th?

Spain is the only country in which c before e and i is pronounced th. The shift in pronunciation occurred in Spain after the colonization of the New World and Southeast Asia, so the shift isn't heard in Hispanic countries. Otherwise, c is pronounced as English k.

Quote:
Also in which Spanish countries g is pronounced like the English j and in which countries is pronounced like gh?

In Spanish g isn't pronounced like the English j. The approximate equivalent of English j is Spanish y and ll, depending on how forceful the palatal friction is in pronouncing the sound, which ranges between more forceful than in English j to approximately the English y.

The gh sound as in the English word 'good' is pronounced in Spanish before the vowels a o and u and the consonants l and r.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 02:58 am
Thanks.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 09:58 am
InfraBlue wrote:
Spain is the only country in which c before e and i is pronounced th. The shift in pronunciation occurred in Spain after the colonization of the New World and Southeast Asia, so the shift isn't heard in Hispanic countries. Otherwise, c is pronounced as English k.

c is pronounced like the English k after a, o, u.
c is pronounced like the English s after e, i.

You just missed that clarification.

In regards to the x, it can sound like the s, sh, h (as in have) and x.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 10:04 am
Pantalones wrote:

c is pronounced like the English k after a, o, u.
c is pronounced like the English s after e, i.

You mean before, Joe...
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 01:01 pm
Yes, before, thanks for pointing that out.
0 Replies