The Worst News Ever for New York

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:45 pm
I know, I tried to flag one while my umbrella was fully inside out in a downpour..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
You damned fool.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:08 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
What are they putting in the water these days?

E.coli?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:14 pm
If you really want to study NYCity character, ride the subway.
The train pulls up to the station, the doors open. Do those on the platform, wait for passengers to exit the train? Hell no! Why wait?

Just yank the hot, smelly fools off the train and then very quickly jump into the car to take their place. Yank out 1, 5 jump in.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:31 pm
We are attempting, you dolt, to verify or disprove that law of science or whatever that two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. The subway doors provide one opportunity, the actual subway ride is another. We came very close, veryclose, to disproving the law tonight on the A train. We were packed in so tightly that our pulses began to match, another couple of hours like that and all the menstrual cycles would be ticking off together like clockwork.

A couple of nights ago, very late, there were two people on the local at the south end of the our car. They seemed to be very energetically occupying the same space at the same time, though I tried to take no notice, they did seem to be on the verge of some kind of breakthrough.

Would it be alright if I asked you if your town wouldn't mind being the number one politest city in the world?? It would make things a lot easier around here.

Joe(crap. I asked nicely. The virus has got me.)Nation
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:37 pm
Amigo wrote:
What if they all decide to take cabs in their delirium.

A million cabs with six crazy New yorkers apiece speeding across America with brass knuckles and black jacks.

Sometimes you crack me up Amigo Razz
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:51 pm
Yeah, what about the other two million of us?

What are we chopped liver? We don't get to go. Fine. We won't go. The others can just blackjack their little hearts out while the rest of us will finally be able to get a table at Rao's.

Joe(still no cabs in the rain)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:38 pm
Re: The Worst News Ever for New York
Joe Nation wrote:
...Two years from now, you won't be able to tell you are even in New York. We'll be holding doors like in Tulsa....

ROTFLM(polite)AO Laughing Laughing Laughing

Y'all are gonna need some training at this, I think. I could make a small fortune....aw hell, this is NYC we're talkin' about...a huge friggin' fortune.............hmmm......

VOTE FOR RUDY!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 02:51 am
Quote:
Y'all are gonna need some training at this, I think

More like mass hypnosis. But this is serious stuff. People like Guiliani are always trying to make us be better people, but him? Huh. Yeah, like he's polite, like if you asked him a question he didn't like he couldn't burn your face off with his "waddyou nuts??" look. He's New York, he just wants the rest of us to be Akron.

Freaking creaking Akron.

Some people are thinking about moving to Chicago.

Joe(That's how bad this is. )Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 08:48 am
Well, Chicago is good. Cool

Mass hypnosis, huh? Hmm. I was just thinking of recruiting ordinary people from around here and throwing in a few little touristy side trips as compensation. (Okies'd go for it.) But if mass hypnosis is required, I'll need qualified p$ychologi$t$ and travel expen$e$ and public relation$ expert$ and air time and ton$ of other $tuff.

Wow, this could be a gold mine!

Um, uh....this being NooYawk and all, I assume Rudy can find some sort of government grant or donations or something to finance this...right?

RUDY in 2008!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
Quote:
Um, uh....this being NooYawk and all, I assume Rudy can find some sort of government grant or donations or something to finance this...right?

We just got our Homeland Security grants CUT because -get this- New York City did not have a sufficient numbers of targetable iconic sites to warrant funding at the previous level.

It enough to make you want not to be polite.

Joe(We got the frigging Statue of Liberty, the UN, the Empire State ...Whatever)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 03:39 am
Hey!! Where are all the volunteers?? I asked if someone would nominate their city to be the politest. Who came forward? Nobody.

I guess no one wants to live in the white bread town of renown.

C'mon, somebody.

Joe(we promise to still respect you.)Nation

Who lives in the nicest town in the world.

???
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
You think we're going to admit that on a thread with a New Yorker? We may be polite, but we're not stupid. You guys (sorry, youse guys) wouldn't think twice before taking advantage of us. The last thing we want in our nice, orderly towns is hordes of rude, aggressive New Yorkers descending upon us.

Huh uh. We're not polite. Where'd you get that idea? We're...we're...bad. That's what we are. Yeah.

Um...you need a ride?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
Hard to fathom that Homeland Security grant cut...

(makes rude sounds..)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
Not to belabor a point, okay maybe belabor a little bit whatever, here is the menu from Beppo's. (I do this for Ossobucco so she knows what she is missing.)

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/7015/beppos16yw.jpghttp://img278.imageshack.us/img278/4500/beppos4pv.jpg

Now, was that nice?

Think.

No, it's not nice. Now she and the rest of you are drooling all over your keyboards --God, I hope it's from the hunger pangs--- a nice person wouldn't do such a thing, but because I am one of those New York Types, the real ones, not the fakie Reader's Digest pretty-please-with sugar-on-top-kind, I went out of my way to take a couple of shots of the menu. (I tried to get an actual menu but those girls in there they watch you like you were a thief or something. They took it right back out of my bag!! Wenchs!! Impolite Wenchs!!)

Also, I was reminded by a friend of the test the Reader's Digest should have done:

1) Go to Yankee Stadium for a game.
2) Sit in the cheap seats in the middle of the row.
3)Order a hotdog from the vendor.
(The fans seated to your left or your right will pass it down with your change.)

Step Two:
Repeat the above while wearing a Boston Red Sox cap.

Note: Prior to attempting step two, put your affairs in order.

Joe(Change? What fukkking change? Hot Dog??What fuukking hot dog?)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 01:02 pm
I think I'll try the Agnello...

Oh, sob, virtual food just doesn't taste as good..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
I found the answer. It was all a big mistake.

Reader's Digest

Snip
Quote:
Consider that in one recent survey, 70 percent of U.S. adults said people are ruder now than they were 20 years ago.

Is it really true? Reader's Digest decided to find out if courtesy truly is kaput. RD sent reporters to major cities in 35 countries where the magazine is published -- from Auckland, New Zealand, to Zagreb, Croatia. In the United States, that meant targeting New York, where looking out for No. 1 -- the heck with the other guy -- has always been a basic survival skill.

The routine in New York was similar to the one followed elsewhere: Two reporters -- one woman and one man -- fanned out across the city, homing in on neighborhoods where street life and retail shops thrive. They performed three experiments: "door tests" (would anyone hold one open for them?); "document drops" (who would help them retrieve a pile of "accidentally" dropped papers?); and "service tests" (which salesclerks would thank them for a purchase?). For consistency, the New York tests were conducted at Starbucks coffee shops, by now almost as common in the Big Apple as streetlights. In all, 60 tests (20 of each type) were done.

See!!!!! "For consistency, the New York tests were conducted at STARBUCKS COFFEE SHOPS... . "

Well, that's bullshit. Starbucks is not New York, Starbucks is part of the problem, Starbucks is putting out of business the kind of small Greek delis which serve this really awful tasting brown water they call coffee and ask you "Waddya want for sixty cents??"

Here is yesterday at noon in New York.

Starbucks is full of out of state college co-eds text-messaging their term papers and medical students nursing their grande lattes for a hour and half while staring at a chapter heading which reads "Sub-dermal Intercostal Injury Causes." The Greek deli is full of cops and construction workers and the crew from the moving van doubled-parked behind the cruiser. Next door at the bar in mid-day are two mixed doubles pairs of divorce lawyers, three bond traders and what appear to be their secretaries and a slightly overweight guy who keeps asking if they can put the US Soccer game on.

Do you know what they said to me, uh, to the guy?? "Shut the fuckup."

I went over to Molly's where the Irish crowd was having a fine time groaning at the play of the Americans and the judgement of the referee.

None of it was described in either the most polite terms or in any form capable of being re-printed in the pages of Reader's Digest.

Joe(We're back!!!)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 02:55 pm
OK, we need to put Nimh on this to pick it apart.

How do two people "fan out?"

IMO, you New Yorkers have to be nice, or ya'll'd end up murderizing each other.

Where else would folks ignore the behavior you described seeing on the subway?

The synchronized breathing on the subway, alone, is enough to get ya'll the title.

Poor bastards.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:39 am
I think we are nice to tourists in order to make sure that they have completely flattened their wallets.

Joe(Hey, Check it out, SHINY THINGS!!)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 09:32 am
I remember going down a long flight of steps to a subway in Rome without my feet touching the steps, the mass of humans simply lifting me awaft. I ain't no tiny thing either. Somehow I think this could happen to me in New York City too.
0 Replies