I'd like to know the etymology of "Communism" ...

fansy

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
I'd like to know the meaning of "Communism" since its first occurrence in the mid 19th century, and evolution of the meaning of this term over the centuries, and the meaning of its German equivalent as well. Its original meaning, and extended meaning. Pls give me authoritative definitions and proofs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,124 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Charli

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:37 pm
Here's a start . . .
Try this site for a start on finding the etymology of Communism:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Communism

Good luck! Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
But I'm interested in earlier definition of Communism
Worlds like materialism and idealism have special philosophical connotations to us Chinese students. A study of their etymologies, and changes in meaning over the centuries might help us better understand these terms, communism included.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:47 pm
Ever changing language
Language is fluid - ever changing; not static - standing still. The meanings of words change constantly. And they mean different things to different people, even in the same country - all native speakers of the same language.

If you would like to see a small exercise in the usage of language, go to my profile here and then to my web site which is listed. Look at "AMERICANESE!!!" (see sidebar). The www on this post is the web site of a friend. You might wish to look at it also - "Word Info." Enjoy!
[/color]
0 Replies