Native English Speakers Explaining the Language

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
In the recent past, there has been an influx of Chinese students, who want to become more proficient in English. I have been trying, wherever I can to help out.

I am finding something very strange. I am so used to speaking English with its idioms, expressions, slang, and references that only an English speaker would know. I am finding, that when some of the students ask questions, I know what they are asking for, but I often find it difficult to explain.

As a result, I am gaining a new and profound respect for those young people, who are really attempting to master the English language.

Are many of you having the same difficulty expressing something that you really know, but can't quite put into words?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 590 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:22 am
Well, personally I find it all going rather tickety-boo, in a formal English diatribial sort of way.

Mind you, I have always been good at clear and concise communication, both keybordial AND vocular.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:23 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Well, personally I find it all going rather tickety-boo, in a formal English diatribial sort of way.

Mind you, I have always been good at clear and concise communication, both keybordial AND vocular.

Every man is a hero in his own ocular.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:33 am
I'm ascribing to an elemental sort of conciseness, thereby claiming my independant effluent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:40 am
Keep your effluent where it belongs--that's why we have sewers . . . and Lord E . . .

I know exactly what Phoenix is on about. I find that i have to be very careful about how i explain a term, and sometimes, although i have no doubt about the meaning of an idiomatic expression in context, i will go look for an online definition, because i want to be certain not to steer them wrong. I may know the meaning of the expression in context, but i may actually not know the proper explanation of the term, or its true derivation.

The other problem i run into is making a clear and correct explanation which is not as obscure as the expression itself. I will use examples of the correct usage to help along the explanation. It profits them little for one of us to provide an explanation, if the terms of the explanation are as obscure to them as the expression they have asked about. It sharpens one's knowledge of one's own language to make the effort to explain an idiom or a complex word or phrase in simple terms which they can understand readily by resort to an English-Chinese dictionary.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:43 am
Setanta- I agree. I find that by assisting the students with their English, I am beginning to be more careful with my explanations, and attempting to be more precise with my answers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:59 am
Seriously, I know exactly what you mean.

I'll read a question, thinking, that's easy to explain, until I have to put it done in proper words.

It's a learning experience for me, in how lazy I am.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:57 pm
I'm always torn between explaining things by reference to grammatical rules or by reference to conventional, "intuitive" usage. I think the latter is a more practical way to learn the language, but I'm guessing most of these students, like most people who learn new languages, are doing it through the former. I'm not sure I'm striking the right balance between the two when I answer these posts.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:09 pm
We have no way of knowing how much these kids know about "Western Culture"--some of them seem convinced that Australia, England and the U.S. are all pretty much the same.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:11 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
We have no way of knowing how much these kids know about "Western Culture"--some of them seem convinced that Australia, England and the U.S. are all pretty much the same.

THEY ARE!
Except for the weather and the language, of course.
0 Replies