I want you help

cumtwyd

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:08 am
Hello:
In this sentence " Americans, for the most part, find their strengh in individualism." 'for the most part ' is explained to be 'most of the time' on most cases,But I think its meaning is 'most of Americans'. What do you think?

Thank you! Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:25 am
Re: I want you help
cumtwyd wrote:
Hello:
In this sentence " Americans, for the most part, find their strengh in individualism." 'for the most part ' is explained to be 'most of the time' on most cases,But I think its meaning is 'most of Americans'. What do you think?

Thank you! Sad

The actual meaning of "for the most part" is:

In general, usually. For example, For the most part she is very good-humored, or The committee members agree for the most part. [Late 1300s] Also see the synonyms by and large; on the whole.

so, you are incorrect re the meaning of the phrase, but correct in that the writer IS suggesting that most Americans feel this way, simply because, on this occasion, the writer is discussing Americans.

Do you understand what I mean?

Oh, you have misspelled "strength"...did you know that? (You wrote "strengh")
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:07 pm
Re: I want you help
cumtwyd wrote:
But I think its meaning is 'most of Americans'. What do you think?

Much of it depends on the context. Can you tell us what sentences come before or after this one? If this sentence were preceded by descriptions of other countries, such as...

Germans finds their strength in _____. Chinese find their strenth in _____. Americans, for the most part, find their strength in individualism.

...then you could be right that "for the most part" means "most Americans." But if this sentence were preceded by descriptions of other places that Americans find strength, such as...

In the United States, people find strength in commonality, in faith, in money, etc. There are many possibilities, but one prevailing one: Americans, for the most part, find their strength in individualism.

...in this case, "for the most part" could equally mean "in most cases."
0 Replies

cumtwyd

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 01:32 am
Thank you
Hello: Smile
Thank you sparing your time to give me help!
Wish you all have a nice time .
0 Replies