translation problems

possopo

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
i'm currently trying to translate a bmx video and have major translation problems (english to french). in bold are the sentences i can't really understand. there are a few sentences i can't really hear properly so excuse possible inconsistency.

going to get our shred on: does it mean "we"re going to warm up and start shredding?" (like in shredding the ramp, riding hard).

there was speed coming down the second road gap, i had to step up, mock chicken, man: someone is saying that after doing a big jump over a road gap. is it a joke like he looks like a chicken in the air or something else?

Okay, so it sort of rock(s) most of the Track we were all tired...: one i'm not sure i hear well.

trying to get up a gear : trying to change gears on his bike?

a day in the life : no real context. another day of riding. just tell me if it's a clear reference to something i could have missed (maybe the song) or if it's just another expression i can translate pretty loosely.

Hi buddy, Get out and bury me alive: a rider is trying to dig an animal (maybe a mole) out of a hole. a word by word translation wouldn't mean anything (you don't get out of the hole to bury somebody). i know i missed something here, probably the "bury me alive" part.

extreme day got the best of us: extreme day was a day when the riders did some bungey jumping and jetboat. so does it mean that they're all extremely tired because of that day. i'm not sure of the meaning of the expression "to get the best of someone".

Obviously ridden a lot of Skate Park on twenty inch. Just taken it to the mountain bike. : the guy rode many skateparks with bikes with small wheels (20 inches') and then, he's trying to do the same with a bigger bike (a mountain bike has bigger wheels than a bmx). am i correct?

I don't wanna get my package stuck to that second one.: someone is jumping over a barbwired fence. is he scared he's going to lose his balls?

I'll be icing the boys later if i don't make this one.: is this rider really going to kill his mates if he misses a trick?? or do i misunderstand the verb "to ice"?

You get it for free. You think you're all there. You check your bike everywhere you go.: someone is saying all that and you see a bike go right up in the air after a rider misses a jump. these sentences are extremely hard for me to translate because there probably is no clear translation to it, there might even be a pun or an implied reference i don't get:s

thanks in advance for helping me on that, i must admit i'm really stuck!Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 580 • Replies: 1
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
Re: translation problems
Hi possopo,

A bunch of these are ones that I understand but would have a hard time translating -- I'll do the more obvious ones.

going to get our shred on: "Start shredding" is about right. "Get our ___ on" is a standard slang formulation, and many words can be inserted into the space; the whole sentence indicates "we're going to start doing ___".

extreme day got the best of us: "Got the best of us" here means that they were "beaten" by the difficult (extreme) day. Very tired, right. "Get the best of" means "beat" or "conquer," pretty much, in the sense of "he bested me."

I don't wanna get my package stuck to that second one.: Right, he's worried that his "package" (I've usually seen it as a reference to balls and penis together) will get stuck on the barbed wire fence -- either just poked, or left behind.

I'll be icing the boys later if i don't make this one.: I think "the boys" here are more likely to be his balls -- that if he doesn't do the trick correctly, his balls will hurt and he'll need to put ice on them. It's not an extremely common phrase I don't think, but women often call their breasts "the girls," seems like the same idea.

Hope that helped!
0 Replies