What's for dinner tonight?

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:58 am
Aloo Gobi... is that what I think it is??

Thanks everybody for clearing up the snow in OZ question. It seems such a contradiction to me, but that's because my information about Australia is mostly confined to TV where the photographs always show it sunny & warm.

I think that BBQing as a man's occupation has a lot to do with women gladly giving up any cooking duties. I know I could BBQ, but as long as I have a willing hand -- why rock the boat?

Last night we had round steak which my son had cooked in beef broth, with mushrooms, small peppers, red potatoes & carrots the day before. The meat was so tough after 4 hours cooking that he couldn't eat it. (We weren't home -- we were eating marinated chicken at the beach cabin.) So yesterday morning I helped him put it back in the oven at 250F (120C) for the entire day. By dinnertime it was tender enough to eat. Amazingly, at that low temperature the vegetables stayed intact and were still their proper color. My son is learning to cook and THOUGHT he'd be able to BBQ that meat since it was called "steak."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:00 am
Aloo Gobi is a dish of spiced cauliflower and potato that is standard in most Indian households. The Northern style tends to be more dry, while the Southern is more saucy, but I was just being cheeky with Gautam...hope he didn't mind Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:13 am
Me, too!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:22 am
LOL, no I dont mind at all !!! When I bent over to take a bow, I guess I opened my self to be on the recieving end of cheekiness Laughing

Since I am from Norht India, *the* aloo gobhi tends to be dry !
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:25 am
Tonight's dinner:

Penne in a garlic, mushroom & parsley "sauce" . A LOT of garlic, as I've decided not to go to work tomorrow Very Happy & won't be breathing garlic fumes all over my students Very Happy ...
Also I seem I seem to be developing a cold (honk, honk, sniffle, sniffle ...), which might explain my garlic craving. Nothing like classrooms to catch almost any illness going around!
I must read up on ginger concoctions which are good for colds. Any other tried & true recommendations?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:43 am
North India has the more sophisticated cuisine, IMO...sadly, most of what we get here is Bangladeshi interperatation of Indian cuisine...it is fiery and tasty, but mostly the same thing at every restaurant. Sad I have picked up on Indian cooking, and find it a vast and varied and delicious cuisine.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:45 am
Yes, North Indian food is the best. Mostly because it has been influenced by so many civilzations which came to conquer India (always through the north) and left an indelible mark on all cusine.

msolga, take a little bit of ginger and grind it taking care not to loose the juices. Add it in a cup of water, bring it to boil and add some tea and honey. Drink it while it is still hot.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:59 am
Thanks, Gautam. Will buy some ginger tomorrow & do just that! <sniff, snuffle, honk, splutter ... Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:00 am
And don;t forget lots of TLC !! (are them workmen still around ??) Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:05 am
Laughing

No, no workmen around tomorrow, G.
Just cats!!! And they are EXTREMELY friendly & cuddlesome in this cold weather. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:38 am
What does G think of the traditional London curry takeaway, I wonder? Very Happy
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:16 am
The traditional London curry takeaway is horror beyoond dreams !! It really irks me when people say that they are going out for an Indian meal, pop over to the local "Taste of India" or some atrocious named Bangladeshi joint, order chicken tikka masala and lamb balti. It almost makes me catch hold of them by the shoulders and give them a good shake !!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 10:24 am
ewww...chicken tikka masala....isn't the tikka part enough without the tomato sauce?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 09:28 pm
Whole rainbow trout grilled with a little olive oil, on truffle pasta with some buttered leftover vegetables.
0 Replies