TORTURE VICTIM DENIED RIGHT TO SUE

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:08 pm
the CBC-NEWS reported earlier today :

June 14, 2006
The U.K. House of Lords Appellate Committee, Britain's highest court, rules that William Sampson and three Britons cannot sue the people they say tortured them in a Saudi jail, overruling the previous Court of Appeal decision. The Law Lords say the Saudi individuals are protected by the U.K.'s state immunity laws.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now , isn't that a sweet deal for the saudi torturers .
they don't have to worry that their victims will come after them .
it is interesting to note that an earlier court of appeal decision had given them the right to launch a court action .
would the law lords have some special interest in seeing the action squashed ?
i saw simpson being interviewed outside the court in london and he said that he is not completely taken by surprise by the ruling . he did say that the earlier decision by the appeal court had given him some hope that justice might prevail .
however mr sampson is not ready to give up yet ; he said that he would take his case to the european human rights commission and that he'll keep fighting for justice .
a footnote : i find that the BBC-NEWS is usually in the forefront when it comes to news but i have not found a link to mr sampson's story yet .
hbg

...REPORT FROM CBC-NEWS...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 474 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:38 pm
Unbelievable.
Unjust.

A national shame.

Joe( words fail)Nation
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
two things i find rather curious about this case :
1 - that the law lords found it necessary to overturn the decision of the appeal court - certainly not one of the low level courts in england ,
2 - that i cannot find any mention of the decision on the BBC-NEWS site ;
there are plenty of reports on the bombing , sampson's return from saudi-arabia - but thereafter the trail disappears - to the best of my knowledge .

i did find a report in the EXAMINER newspage (see link) , but generally speaking the british news seem to devote more space to '17 stone pig ' and similar stories than this one ???
hbg
...REPORT FROM : THE EXAMINER...
0 Replies