'Dam Busters' - 60 years ago, the Möhne Dam was bombed

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:27 am
Why?

It's my title for this thread, which I started more than one year ago.

(Besides that, my first lines
Walter Hinteler wrote:
On the night of May 16, 1943, the British Air force sent a group of "dam buster" planes to attach the Mohne Dam in the Ruhr Valley, Germany's industrial heartland. ... ... ...l

and more had to be changed as well :wink:)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:52 am
Actually you are right, but now it is over 61 years ago. ;-)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:53 am
I can appreciate the technical difficulty and ingenuity of what the bombers' achieved, but it doesn't stop me feeling bad for those mentioned by Walter who were downstream of the dams. All war is bad for someone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:59 am
Thanks, Grand Duke.

It's always a point of view ... and of fashion: if you wear blinkers or not. :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:01 am
Sorry Walter, but can you elaborate a little?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:08 am
Well, "foreign workers" (those, who died, as said on the National Archive's website) sounds better than telling (as it was) about those dead as as kidnapped foreign women and childrenfrom the Ukraina and Russian POW's.

On a sunday this summer, I listened to an English guide of a British group on the damm (of WWII veterans, it seemed), who asked his group not to look at those photos/documents, because they only would show the German points of views.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:12 am
Another case of the infamous British arrogance & ignorance? I might emmigrate somewhere better...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
There are lot of others, Grand Duke, and certainly these were only exceptions to nomal British attitude!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:18 pm
I think it is really pathetic to prefer myth over reality. 60 year old propaganda over history.

On the other hand, how can you tell a bunch of 80 + year old veterans that it was all a waste of life time money effort and achieved nothing.

Let them believe they did something worthwhile, even if they didn't.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:21 pm
I did. Laughing

(And didn't bother about that, too.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
and thanks for the guided tour Walter! (remembering)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
I've seen that dam and there isn't a scratch on it.
0 Replies

sideways

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:03 am
Hans_Goring wrote:
This is a response to a discussion a while back, the dam sabotages were perfectly valid for the war effort what i don't understand is why the allies had to bomb the **** out of every single german city. especially Dresden which 130, 000 people died from allied bombing and this was february 14 only 3 months until the nazi's surrendered. Now that was the allied commanders and pilots moving from tactical operations to genocide and in many cases in the last 4 months of nazi germany, innocent germans were raped pillaged and killed...some allied commanders should have faced war crime punishments....but also germans do to for the concentration camps but they already paid.....sorry got a bit off topic here.

-Hans

Er, what!? Germany deserved everything it got, which wasn't nearly enough. That despicable nation of the 1930s represents one of the great evils in mankind's history. Complete annihilation would have been reasonable.

At the time no one really cared much about the fate of any german, "the only good german is a dead german" etc. Germany was lucky it wasn't nuked, they should be thankful for that.

Those russian peasants would probably have been starved to death by the evil Nazis anyway, a quick death was at least humane.

4 months to rebuild a dam is significant. The raid was a great success, and was the inspiration for George Lucas' Star Wars attack on the Death Star - what a tribute to the brave pilots!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:11 am
Welcome to A2K, sideways.

And thanks for your thoughtful and well researched input.

I appreciate it very much.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Amazed you can say welcome, Walter

Sideways interesting first post, hope its your last
0 Replies

sideways

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Thanks, you mean the Star Wars bit? That's in IMDB's trivia section, they actually replicated the attack sequence from the Dam Busters movie.

The other stuff, about Nazis being evil etc is pretty well known.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:26 pm
you mean the trivia section of your brain?
0 Replies

sideways

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
No, I mean the trivia section of IMDB

Dam Busters trivia

Here's the excerpt in case you have trouble with point and click:

This is one of the films that George Lucas used clips from to edit the rough cut of Star Wars (1977) before the addition of special effects, and the finale of Star Wars utilizes many features of the finale of The Dam Busters quite closely, notably the briefing, the ground staff waiting for news, the troika formation of the attacking aircraft and so on. In Addition, the following exchange from the Dam Busters is reproduced almost verbatim in Star Wars: Gibson: "How many guns d'you think there are Trevor?" Trevor: "I'd say there's about 10 guns - some in the field and some in the tower". Except in Star Wars, he wasn't called Trevor, obviously.

Look, don't get flamey with me, people need to be reminded AGAIN AND AGAIN how evil the Nazis were, I'm doing my bit, what about you?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
I think they were lovely
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 02:09 am
Today starts the light illumination of the dam due to the 100 years jubilee this year.

Photos from the "dress rehearsal":

http://i50.tinypic.com/2iuxppi.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zw22ps.jpg
0 Replies