Only one parent per child can attend – how to decide?

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:48 am
We signed my aspiring baseball star to a batting clinic with our beloved David Ortiz. Big Papi is my daughter's favorite baseball player (and mine too)! My husband and I planned on both attending the clinic. My husband loves baseball and used to be a very good player in high school. He also is the one who takes my daughter out to practice.

My husband does not yet know that it states that only one can attend. I love Big Papi! When I read that only one parent can attend, I actually started to tear because I want to go so bad. Should I just grow up and realize that I am adult and can live without seeing my baseball hero?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 958 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:50 am
Can you alternate? Or is it just one day? (Sounds very cool!)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
It's half a day. I was thinking about the possibility of alternating. I suppose I could call and see. Maybe my husband staying for the first half as this will be the focus of batting. Oh - and two other Red Sox players are going to be there - did not say who, but I am really crazy about Ortiz. Toward the second half is a Q&A with Papi and a pizza party. I honestly would love to just see him close. Seems crazy at my age that I would so adore a player. He has been my favorite since he started with the Red Sox - not into the pretty boys - love the hard working good natured players.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:12 am
I completely understand. If there were some sort of football clinic with Brett Favre -- Shocked. Then again, my husband would know to stay OUT of my way... Laughing If you're both equally fans, that's more complicated.

Hope you can alternate, or that your husband steps back as a gift to you, or something.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:17 am
your one chance to see your hero player.

many other times for your hubby and daughter to interact together at batting practice.

Ask your daughter who she would rather go with?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:52 am
Well - I know who she would want to go with....me. She already said so when we heard about the clinic on the radio. I mentioned that is going to fill fast maybe I can call dad and get him to register you know (as it would be a while before I would get to a computer). She said, "Ah, but I want you to go with me." As she didn't understand that it was only the child that you register - I also mentioned that maybe we would both go (as at the time we didn't know they were limited parents).

My daughter and I have a very strong bond so it really isn't a surprise. I guess that is why I hate to "intrude" in baseball - as (even though we both like baseball) my husband takes her to practice - has coached her team, etc. To me this is their bonding experience.

My husband is the more dedicated baseball fan, but I am the more dedicated Papi fan.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:43 am
Flip a coin. At least then you have a 50/50 chance.

It ain't fair making kids choose between their parents....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:46 am
I agree - I would never put her in that position. She offered up that information that is the only reason I know.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Promise your hubby that you'll make it "worth his while" :wink: if you get to attend.

Then go rent that Wonder Woman outfit....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:57 am
Who's your Papi?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:11 pm
Hmm. I volunteer to go in your place. Smile

Okay, barring that, flip a coin. And take lots of pics.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:47 pm
blacknsm - I sure that will work! I could promise anything sexual and he would be putty in my hands.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:13 pm
Well, there ya go! Problem solved! Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:46 am
"I love Papi" T-shirt….$20

Fee for Big Papi Batting Clinic…..$299

Seeing your 7 year old daughter standing next to David Ortiz staring in awe…priceless
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:56 am
Your husband takes her to the practices and seems to be the one involved in her baseball. That would, perhaps, give him the right to go to the clinic.

On the other hand, I think that the one who heard about, decided on and registered for the clinic should be the one to go.

Also, it is about the clinic for your daughter. You standing around goo goo eyed will not help her to learn anything. Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:04 am
Well we made it! That is to say, both my husband and I made it to see our little girl. We decided we would just go and see what happened. Of course, being a panic nut, I had already figured if it was a problem I would just let my husband go. I said I would stand outside just so I could get a close up look at Papi.

As we got there a car on either side of us drove up - one had 3 kids and 1 parent and the other had 2 kids and a parent. So being the quick thinker I went up to the one that seemed more approachable and easy going looking. I asked him if another adult was coming along and he said no. So I asked if one of us could be "other guest". He didn't have a problem with it - as long as they didn't require the "guest" to be along with the child at each station - seemed a reasonable compromise. Well that wasn't even an issue. We did all walk in together, but they really weren't making sure that only one person was walking in with each child. They were checking each child to make sure they receive their badge, but besides that it was no problem. I worried for a month for no reason.

My daughter loved it - she even made it on at least one TV station - she was sitting in the front toward one end when Papi and Co. were giving their introductory speeches. They scanned the kids and as she was at the end they zoomed into her (it was on ABC and she was the little girl in the pink shirt). Earlier as she was getting ready to enter they batting area - she was putting on her white and pink (yes I found pink batting gloves - just because you're a ball player doesn't mean you can't be fashionable) batting gloves (matching pink I love Papi shirt) - one of the TV stations came up to her close filming her putting on her gloves and her shirt. I haven't seen it, but it may be on CBS - anyone in the Boston area see it?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:04 am
Papi came out from the practice area several times. I made sure I was close by when he did. He was walking right by me - I could reach out and touch him! I felt like a shy little kid - all I could manage was a little wave. He looked at me and smiled and gave me a wave back. We did manage to film the whole thing.

Well then they broke up into groups of about 10 - and practiced with different people in different types of drills, batting cages, swinging, etc. She even practiced with Papa Jack - the batting coach of the red sox.

Big Papi came to her group last. He spent about 10 - 15 minutes with each group. When he came to her group to help with the batting - she just stood up and stayed next to him the entire time - looking up at him in complete awe. At the end they had a Q&A session with Big Papi. In the car, I told her about it - I said since you are so small try to get to the front so they can see you. I also told her to think up a question. She said she would ask him "Why are you so big?" So she was already. Unfortunately as they were they last group to work with Papi, they were the last to enter the Q&A session so she was toward the back. When they started the session, I was disappointed she didn't raise her hand. Finally near the end she did. Papi saw her even in the back and he even remembered her name - the only one he called by name. I couldn't hear her, but Papi just laughed and said I don't think I want to answer that. Papa Jack said some where between 29 - 31. I am thinking that can't be her question. When she finished I asked her what her question was - she asked him how old he was. Only a seven year old can get away with the question.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:08 am
Oh Intrepid lighten up!

It was also about seeing my daughter during an important event in her life. As my husband put it - it really isn't fair to have to decide which parent would miss out on seeing their child during any important event. And I would have stepped down if I needed to - I already had told my husband so.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:11 am
Sorry you took it that way. I thought the Razz would indicate how I was putting it. Anyhow, I am glad that everybody got to go.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:51 am
No problem intrepid it is just difficult when your child has a great opportunity and of course both parents want to be a part of it. (it is even better when you share a certain bond in the fantasy - same hero in our case and for my husband and her same sport especially where that is their strongest bond together).

It was wonderful that we could all share it as a family.
0 Replies