Sleep Nausea

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:39 pm
Can anyone tell me why I feel nauseated If I fall asleep in a sitting position ( upright) or feel nauseated if I fall asleep on my back ?( like whin I watch TV in bed)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 904 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Sounds to me like you may have gastric reflux. Se a doctor or take some of those acid reducing pills.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:08 pm
NickFun wrote:
Sounds to me like you may have gastric reflux. Se a doctor or take some of those acid reducing pills.

It's my understanding that being in an upright position (head raised) reduces the discomford of reflux.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:09 pm
And don't eat anything less than an hour before bedtime. Preferably, you should try to exercise a bit, even if just to walk around the block, get some of that food to go down.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
If it is reflux, there a couple of things that you can do. Don't lie down right after eating. Put 4" blocks, under the feet at the head of your bed to raise the head of your bed. Then gravity will do some of the work of which your digestive system is having trouble.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:12 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
If it is reflux, there a couple of things that you can do. Don't lie down right after eating. Put 4" blocks, under the feet at the head of your bed to raise the head of your bed. Then gravity will do some of the work of which your digestive system is having trouble.

and never eat bearded clams within 4 hours of bedtime.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
It's my understanding that being in an upright position (head raised) reduces the discomford of reflux.

Indeed it does. But it's more the elevation of the upper torso than just the head. I have ARD, and went through these same symptoms until I got treated for it. I have to agree with NickFun - I'd get checked out if I were you, phillies.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
"discomford" is not a automobile manufacturer (OK mayby Fiat)
0 Replies

phillies

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:20 pm
So ARD isnt heartburn or indigestion? The nausea occurs if I wake up after dozing off shortly. That is the only time I experience these symptoms, nothing else uncomfortable throughout the course of the day.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:32 pm
Maybe you're dreaming of eating a rancid pizza!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:03 am
phillies wrote:
So ARD isnt heartburn or indigestion? The nausea occurs if I wake up after dozing off shortly. That is the only time I experience these symptoms, nothing else uncomfortable throughout the course of the day.

ARD, Acid Reflux Disease, is pretty much the same thing, but you are experiencing it all the time. The acids coming back up can cause all sorts of not so amusing symptoms, including nausea and all the classic feelings associated with heartburn. Not to mention the erosion of the esophagus. My doctor first put me on Nexium, but after a while it was back under some degree of control and the nausea had all but gone away, so I was able to switch to purchasing Prilosec every few months as directed. But that nausea was something I experienced, too. No matter what position I tried to sleep in, I'd snap awake feeling decidedly pukey. Sometimes I would actually dry heave. Not very fun. All the things they talk about in the commercials, including the possibility of having other stomach conditions, should be considered.
If you are strapped for money or don't have insurance, you might try the Prilosec first and see how that works. But if these symptoms keep returning, I'd go see a doctor. This is nothing to mess around with.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
"Nausea is uncommon in GERD. In some patients, however, it may be frequent or severe and may result in vomiting. In fact, in patients with unexplained nausea and/or vomiting, GERD is one of the first conditions suspected. It is not clear why some patients with GERD develop mainly heartburn and others develop mainly nausea."

See, just because the nausea is the only symptom you have, doesn't mean that it's not acid reflux.

The only way to be sure is to go see a doctor. Please do that.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:

and never eat bearded clams within 4 hours of bedtime.

This also applies to anyone WITHOUT reflux.
0 Replies

switpie

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 11:52 pm
It is usually associated with the feeling that one is going to throw up, or vomit.
0 Replies