Mahatma Gandhi and Britain

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:36 am
Hi Britons (And that includes non-Britons too!)
Recently, I have become quite interested with Mahatma Gandhi's life. Apart from reading his autobiography, I am doing a lot of online research to delve deeper into other aspects of his life. Here is something that I wished to know, as part of my research:
Has Britain done anything so far to commemorate the contributions of Mahatma Gandhi to the world as a whole?
Is the British government planning something like that in the near future? Like any roads being named after him etc?

If you know anything about Britain's connection with Gandhi, please report here.
The more I am digging into the great man's life, the more I am discovering. Will soon have a thread (I promise its going to be darn interesting) on the Asia forum perhaps and discuss some of my 'findings'.

Its almost bedtime for me and I can't be more specific at this time. If you think I need to be more specific with my query, you can say so. Get back later.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,188 • Replies: 15
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:44 am
Hmm. Wouldn't that be like expecting the Brits to commemorate George Washington or some other architect of the dismemberment of their empire?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:47 am
I am pretty sure they have a road named after him in the U.S.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:09 pm
Assuming we do, it wouldn't be quite the same thing to us. After all, Gandhi never separated California from the rest of the US.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
Somebody should . . .
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
We'd make a great addition to the family of nations.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:13 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Assuming we do, it wouldn't be quite the same thing to us. After all, Gandhi never separated California from the rest of the US.

You deliberately ignorning the actions of Jerry Brown?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:47 pm
California is a U.S. state, isn't it? So, what's this fuss all about?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:12 am
I think Blacksmith's saying, since Gandhi helped break up the British empire, it's improbable for the Brits to commemorate him ... for the Americans its easier to pay credit to Gandhi, since it wasnt their empire Cool

But I'm thinking he's being too pessimistic ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:25 am
Here, there's Ghandi Street in Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom.

Thats the only one I can find on Google though, otherwise its all Teheran, Tashkent, Dar es Salaam, Cairo, Addis Abeda, Kwadukuza, Khomasdal, Trinidad, Pondicherry, Jodhpur..
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:01 am
Aww thanks. I had totally misunderstood Blacksmithn.

And thanks for taking time off to do the search. Hadn't it been for your help, I would have definitely called up Mr. Tony Blair. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 07:12 am
Ghandi was certainly not only universally condemned in England, he was revered in some circles. The earliest labor organizing movements in England had been in the textile industry. During the American civil war, Palmerston was Prime Minister. Palmerston had a pathalogical hatred of America and all things American, and had he felt free to do so, he would have supported the southern Confederacy in their rebellion against the Union. But the textile workers of England considered Lincoln a hero (Palmerston detested him), and the government did not dare openly support the Confederacy.

The same sort of thing happened with Ghandi. Ghandi took to spinning and weaving cotton, saying that Indians must not buy textiles from England, but should produce their own cloth, and should wear only garments made from domestic textiles. Not only did the textile workers of England not resent Ghandi for this, they considered him a hero in the mold of their own labor agitators of years gone by.

http://www.yogasenteret.no/images/articles/selvutvikling/gandhi_2.jpg

The English working class made much of Ghandi when he visited in 1931.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:02 am
nimh wrote:
its all Teheran, Tashkent, Dar es Salaam, Cairo, Addis Abeda, Kwadukuza, Khomasdal, Trinidad, Pondicherry, Jodhpur..

Doesnt that sound great? Seriously, say this sentence out loud ... several times in a row ... Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:15 am
bm

Hello, spider! Interesting thread.
Of course, being part of the Commonwealth, we got quite a bit of information about the "pink bits" (the British Empire!) on the world map at school.
I'd be very interested to know more of Ghandi's life than the commonly known information about his life & political activity. I'm sure there was a lot more to the man.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:47 am
msolga wrote:
bm

Hello, spider! Interesting thread.
Of course, being part of the Commonwealth, we got quite a bit of information about the "pink bits" (the British Empire!) on the world map at school.
I'd be very interested to know more of Ghandi's life than the commonly known information about his life & political activity. I'm sure there was a lot more to the man.

Ghandi, Olga? If I remove the h and n from that, it would come to mean female donkey in Hindi. Laughing Razz

Anyways, did you know Gandhi was a very lustful man. He says so in his autobiograpy.
When I have time, I will reproduce some excerpts from his book.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
spidergal wrote:
.. Anyways, did you know Gandhi was a very lustful man. He says so in his autobiograpy.
When I have time, I will reproduce some excerpts from his book.

He was? Well, I never ..... Surprised

I thought he gave up that sort of thing, to put all his energies into the good fight? (non-violent, of course! :wink:)

Tell me more, do!
0 Replies