Idioms, Slang, Colloquialisms and Expressions

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:14 am
Recently, a number of Chinese students, with only a rudimentary grasp of the English language, have been asking questions on A2K. I have answered a number of them. What I am realizing, is that many of the phrases that native English speakers use are idioms, slang, colloquialisms and expressions.

Usually, I don't even think about these phrases when I write on A2K. They simply "roll" off my keyboard, quite naturally. It occurs to me that many of these expressions must be quite confusing to people for whom English is not their native tongue.

In addition, in the US, we have regional expressions, the British have their own way of expressing certain ideas, and then...........there are the folks from Oz.

How do you respond to questions from people who are not too familiar with the English language? Do you attempt to avoid those peculiar sorts of English phrases that are apt to cause confusion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,664 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:18 am
I say leave them in there. These students are sure to have textbooks to show proper English. On a2k they can also get a feel for how it is used in daily life.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:45 am
I agree, it's good for them to learn everyday phrases, as opposed to just textbook stuff. As long as it is not too far "off the wall".

What I have decided to do in future, is to pick one or two particular students, and answer them on a regular basis. That way, maybe over time, they won't be so formal, or afraid of asking further questions regarding the subject.

In the end I think that quite a few of them could become good A2K friends. It must be quite a daunting thing for them to actually be in touch with the rest of the world all of a sudden.
How exciting it must be, to actually get nice responses from people "in the West".

I'm getting quite used to all this malarkey.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:49 am
Re: Idioms, Slang, Colloquialisms and Expressions
Phoenix32890 wrote:
and then...........there are the folks from Oz.

Confused

Are we that bad?

In answer to the original question, yes, I do try to avoid the colloquialisms that you speak of. But a few will slip out nonetheless.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:52 am
Wilso wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Confused

Are we that bad?

In answer to the original question, yes, I do try to avoid the colloquialisms that you speak of. But a few will slip out nonetheless.

Who said bad??? Just different.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Confused

Are we that bad?

Who said bad??? Just different.

Nah....it's YOU guys who are different.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:15 am
No it ain't . . . we is the standard by which all others are judged. We have the largest population of native speakers. You jokers are the ones who are different; and when it comes to cigarette-smokin' antipodean lagomorphs, they don't come no different . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:40 am
Setanta wrote:
No it ain't . . . we is the standard by which all others are judged. We have the largest population of native speakers. You jokers are the ones who are different; and when it comes to cigarette-smokin' antipodean lagomorphs, they don't come no different . . .

Nonsense,

As you well know different is a purely relative term, and you are more than relatively different, you jumped up poofity haired pseudo Canajun (it's not like it's a real country) pooch!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:52 am
Hey, Setanta....................The bunny sounds serious. We had better not mess with the hop footed flop eared creature. Imagine if she sent many of her kind to invade the northern hemisphere. The way that wabbits procreate, the continent would soon be overrun with Ozzian wabbits.

SCARY THOUGHT! Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hey, Setanta....................The bunny sounds serious. We had better not mess with the hop footed flop eared creature. Imagine if she sent many of her kind to invade the northern hemisphere. The way that wabbits procreate, the continent would soon be overrun with Ozzian wabbits.

SCARY THOUGHT! Shocked

We CAME from the northern hemisphere! We're still there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:04 am
When I find I've used an slang or an idiom or a colloquialism, I add another short paragraph paraphrasing my answer.

So often the problem is that the Chinese Students lack the background behind the situation they question.

Take "Western Breakfast"--which country? What economic level? Family or single? Conventional or bohemian? Leisurely or on-the-go?

A good chunk of their final grade will come from their speeches on "Western and Eastern Breakfasts".

My guess is that they are expected to discover that the Western World is a complicated place--slang, idioms, colloquialisms and all.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:06 am
Phoenix, you used: mess/flop/overrun
do these three words not fall into the category of colloquialisms? Imagine how hard it must be for someone who is starting to learn a language. All these quirky expressions that have to be learned by rote.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:18 am
Idioms, slang, colloquialisms and expressions - isn't that what is used most frequently in any language?

I think, it's one of the first things you are taught when learning a foreign: not to try to translate everything literally.
(Some French and German phrase/expressions I know would confuse those who have no real knowledge of these languages as well.)

"Everyday stuff" is to be found in (modern) schoolbooks as well in contemporary literature - and even when I was in school, we used lyrics from the Top 20 in classes (and such is done these days on a really regular basis).

I've been to England the first time, when I was 14, privately - today, school classes go their, and the pupils are even younger.
(Okay that's a bit more difficult from China.)

I don't think, this really is sucha big issue.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:51 am
"...Who said bad??? Just different. ..."

'vive la difference !'

(as long as it doesn't turn into general de gaulle's :
'vive le quebec ! vive le quebec livre !'
that sure caused an uproar in canada in 1967 when de gaulle
spoke those words from the balcony of montreal city hall in july 1967 ,
canada has sure changed since then).
hbg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c0/250px-De_Gaulle%2C_Vive_le_Quebec_libre.jpg
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 01:43 pm
.........and Prime Minister Pearson put deGaulle in his place and sent him packing.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:59 pm
Idioms, Slang, Colloquialisms and Expressions
Yes, we should keep using our idioms, etc, but explain them when necessary. Idioms and so on that appear in textbooks can be out of date or awkwardly used. These students deserve the challenge, but we shouldn't make it impossibly hard for them.

I think they have a lot of guts, and admire them for their efforts. I, too, hope they stick with A2K.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:37 am
Here's a couple of good websites, by the way, just in case anyone wants to pass them on to one of their chinese "students".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/china/learningenglish/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/index.shtml
0 Replies