the meaning of a sentence

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:31 am
Can you tell me the meaning of "Read to simply feel like part of the world.And if that's too much at first,have one of your people read to you."(It was picked up from a article"Don't let fame go to your head".)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 506 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 07:40 am
Well, that's two sentences.

The first sentence: "Read to simply feel like part of the world."--means that the author advises that a person read in order to understand the other cultures and viewpoints in the world. If you read about that which is not familiar to you, which is not descriptive of the culture of which you are a part, it is possible, and perhaps even likely, that you will become familiar with what was once unfamiliar, and that you might begin to understand those whom you previously were unable to understand, because you lacked context.

The second sentence: "And if that's too much at first,have one of your people read to you."--seems rather sarcastic, and suggests that the author thinks the person to whom it is addressed hasn't either the skill, or the will, to read about and understand the unfamiliar.

Although you have provided more context than we usually get, there is insufficient context to accurate determine what the author means in the second sentence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 11:07 am
Selinamy--

Quote:

Can you tell me the meaning of "Read to simply feel like part of the world.And if that's too much at first,have one of your people read to you."(It was picked up from a article"Don't let fame go to your head".)

I'm assuming that the author of the article was giving advice to celebrities. I'm not a celebrity, but I've heard that many famous people become used to a life with unlimited money and servants who take care of the tedious parts of living.

Celebrities associate with other celebrities and as a group they forget what life for "ordinary" people is like.

The author suggests reading as a way to stay in touch with the "real" world. If you are too busy--or too lazy to read--have someone read to you.
0 Replies