brick dust in the diaper

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 03:48 pm
My youngest son is two months old and he has been getting the occasional diaper that has "brick dust" uric crystals in the diaper. I talked to the public health nurse who told me that it used to be that it was because of dehydration but that was not the case anymore. What does cause it. All the other signs of dehydration are not present in my son like sunken fontanel and yellow skin color. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,529 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 04:08 pm
Re: brick dust in the diaper
LeilaJoy wrote:
My youngest son is two months old and he has been getting the occasional diaper that has "brick dust" uric crystals in the diaper. I talked to the public health nurse who told me that it used to be that it was because of dehydration but that was not the case anymore. What does cause it. All the other signs of dehydration are not present in my son like sunken fontanel and yellow skin color. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.

The uric acid in the urine, may be reacting with something in the diaper, if the uric acid content of the urine is high enough. Also uric acid is a biochemical
product of metabolism and thus the concentration in urine may be influenced by the baby's diet. If you're still concerned, why not ask the doctor who's caring for your baby.

The closest thing in the human adult, that I know of, is gout. As you may know, gout results from uric acid production and accumulation in joints, but this is very different from the diaper spotting, you're talking about.

To ease your mind, next time you take the baby to the Doctor, bring one of these spotted diapers with you and ask for it to be tested and evaluated.

I really think everything is OK, though.

Best wishes

:wink:
0 Replies