dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:23 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Sales of Ozzie wine in the UK, now exceed those of the French wines. I LOVE Ozzie wine, and the most popular one here seems to be Hardy's (Shiraz, Cabernet etc).

Ozzie wine, IMO, makes most French wines taste as if they've been watered down.

Oh, and IMO it is better than Californian, which is saying something.

My daddy used to manage Hardy's.

But its produce is, at best, of medium quality.

They are a much bigger company than they were when my father managed them....they mated with BRL, and they are now very big.

They owe me $12,000 that I will never see...because of a foolish venture in Italy, but I digress....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:26 am
dlowan wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Sales of Ozzie wine in the UK, now exceed those of the French wines. I LOVE Ozzie wine, and the most popular one here seems to be Hardy's (Shiraz, Cabernet etc).

But its produce is, at best, of medium quality........

Deb, you mean to say that there are even BETTER wines over there?

Names, please. (pretty please?)

I once tried one called "fat bastard" which was pretty good. It was bought for me by my wife. I quietly went on a diet about a week later.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:29 am
BVT

That assumption would be incorrect.

Some is, some isnt. This is also true for non export as well, It really depends on what grapes compliment an existing batch and price of available grapes and the size of intended market etc etc.

I may have been incorrect in my assumption that your milton park is a blend it was just a guess.

Yellow tail is known to me but only because of the success this lable has had in the US export market.

My trendy daughter tells me it is available in the shops here.

Let us consider just how many hectares/acres of grapes it would take to service a major market like the US as well as holding up an end in the domestic market. Even without any numbers I know this is well beyond the capacity of any one vinyard. So yellow tail is most likely a blend of what ever the manufacturer can get hold of at an attractive price. This does not mean that he can't make a reasonable wine from those grapes.
it just means that considerable variation will be the result from year to year, or he may buy from the same vinyard each year on a contract basis
and the variation will be less, it really just depends.

What is important is not getting hung up on all the bullshit that surrounds wine. dont be a poseur. If you found something you like stick with it if you get board or want something else go looking try stuff till you again find something else you like.

My research indicates that the major holding in Yellow tail is Cassella Wines located in a tiny town or area called Yenda near Griffith however they source grape material for their wines from "South East Australia" which means pretty much Sydney down and across to Adelaide.

The fluffster is not ill tempered and I will stand by her againt all comers so mind your manners smelly foreign bear.

We are one but we are many.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:32 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

But its produce is, at best, of medium quality........

Deb, you mean to say that there are even BETTER wines over there?

Names, please. (pretty please?)

I once tried one called "fat bastard" which was pretty good. It was bought for me by my wife. I quietly went on a diet about a week later.

Better? Of course....infinitely better.

I noticed heaps of Hardy's when I was in England.....

Thing is, there's so much, I wouldn't know where to start....there are literally thousands of small wineries.....within easy reach of where I live, there are three major wine producing regions.

What is available where you are? What sort of wine do you like?

Wineries here deliver overseas, of course....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:37 am
not much chance opf me becoming a poseur. believe that. I'm just curious and having fun learning about wines. It's a new thing for me and squinney.

as for Ms. Buns... she is constantly hurting my feelings with her bullying tactics. I am a sensitive bear and easily hurt. I would have thought that would be obvious by now. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:42 am
I have seen fat bastard wine here. what kind were you drinking?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:43 am
dlowan wrote:

Thing is, there's so much, I wouldn't know where to start....there are literally thousands of small wineries.....within easy reach of where I live, there are three major wine producing regions.

What is available where you are? What sort of wine do you like?

Wineries here deliver overseas, of course....

I love deep, full bodied reds, in both my wines and women. The fruitier the better.

I'll have to have a good look round now. Is Rosemount an Ozzie wine? I've seen that in Costco's, on my way to the Hardy's.

Wolfblass (sp?) rings a bell, as does Moondarra (again, sp?)

Ooh, I could really get into this type of research.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
LE and BVT

http://www.winediva.com.au/australian-wine/buy-wine-online.asp?WINERY=134&WINERYNAME=Delatite%20Winery

Look for deadmans hill also the cabernet is a nice little wine not huge but nice on a warm day.

The 03 Deadmans Hill was one out of the box, We had bushfires here and the smoke affected the grapes to produce a smokey butterscotch flavour. Yumm
I picked 235 crates of it I Knew it was gonna be a good one.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:47 am
Thanks, dp.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
Quote:
Is Rosemount an Ozzie wine? I've seen that in Costco's, on my way to the Hardy's.

Wolfblass (sp?) rings a bell, as does Moondarra (again, sp?)

yep to all those although I tend to put them all in the more commecially oriented basket.

Look to Rutherglen (an area name) for fortified wines.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:59 am
I love ruby port > ihave a bottle of Osbourne, which is Portugese at the house. a prefeered nightcap.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:10 am
Rosemount is ok, I think.

Wolf Blass makes wines...especially reds....ranging from ok to nectar of the gods.

They go up by label colour...and of course vary vintage to vintage;

http://www.wineperspective.com/wolf%20blass%20wines.htm

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xDN-wine--red_wines-wolf_blass~V-rows

Why don't you and Her Ladyship 'op over and we can take you for some winery tours! It is great fun...most do cellar door tastings and will shop OS happily.....and keep sending you information.

I can do the Barossa, Clare Valley and Southern Vales.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
not much chance opf me becoming a poseur. believe that. I'm just curious and having fun learning about wines. It's a new thing for me and squinney.

as for Ms. Buns... she is constantly hurting my feelings with her bullying tactics. I am a sensitive bear and easily hurt. I would have thought that would be obvious by now. Crying or Very sad

Stop it.

Yopu're making my ears droop.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:38 am
here you go darlin'

(((((((((((((((AFFECTIONATE BEAR HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:32 pm
We'll put Dadpad down for the Yarra Valley tours - and I guess I can do the Hunter Valley - they do some really great big reds up there.

Here we go - A2K winery tours.

Get yourself and Lady E over here, Ellpus. I recall you have family in the west - they produce a grand drop over there, too!

A pretty good tour could be done by just visiting my local bottle shop (off-licence in Brit talk). Well laid out, good variety and they do tastings on Fridays and Saturdays!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:07 pm
Yep, I have a sis in Perth and have done the local wineries round there. It was strange, having lunch overlooking the rows of vines, just like being in France...and hearing bloody cookaburras all over the place.
My other sis now lives in Tas, near the beaconsfield gold mine, and I also have a mate from waaay back who emigrated to Tas, and now owns a vineyard over there.

I'll get me passport, and try my best to catch both Margo and deb in their dressing gowns one day, methinks.

Actually, I now also have a NZ passport (my mum is a noo zillunder)...will I still be allowed in through Oz immigration?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:16 pm
Sure...half of New Zillun lives here anyway...and that's "K"ookaburra.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:29 pm
I start a thread about Austral;ian wine and next thing you know everyone but the bear and squinney are being invited over for a wine tour. Damn.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:31 pm
Nobody invited me either, Bear. <sniff>

Let's start our own.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:06 pm
You're all invited.

Just thought the Bears were busy in new jobs and all....

Eva...you have to put some clothes on is all.
0 Replies