Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:52 pm
I bought a Shiraz tonight . Milton Park, a vinyard 90 inutes north of Adelaide. I REALLY am enjoying this wine.

Is Milton Park a know winemaker in Australia? Are they well thought of or is their wine the equivalent of Ozzie MD 20/20? Because I am enjoying it a lot. Very fruity, nice body, but soft and smooth. Good ****, IMO.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,458 • Replies: 44
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:10 pm
Australia is (and has been) producing great wines. It's hard to find a very bad Aussie wine here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:26 pm
Re: Australian Wine
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I bought a Shiraz tonight . Milton Park, a vinyard 90 inutes north of Adelaide. I REALLY am enjoying this wine.

Is Milton Park a know winemaker in Australia? Are they well thought of or is their wine the equivalent of Ozzie MD 20/20? Because I am enjoying it a lot. Very fruity, nice body, but soft and smooth. Good ****, IMO.

I haven't heard of Milton Park....not can I find it when I search.

I am wondering if this is a name used only overseas, or the name given to a range of wines by a winery with a different name.

Ninety minutes north of Adelaide sounds like the Barossa Valley, which is a famous wine growing area here.....

http://www.winediva.com.au/regions/barossa-valley.asp

http://www.wineaustralia.com/Global/Regions/WineRegion.aspx?p=19&wr=19

http://www.culturalencounters.com.au/Imanual_Church_Barossa_Valley.jpg

http://www.seppeltsfieldvineyardcottage.com.au/images/vineyardviewlarge.jpg

http://www.imvs.sa.gov.au/immunology/research/vines/barossa_files/vines_5.jpeg

What's "Ozzie MD 20/20? "
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 08:33 pm
Buy California and keep the dough in the USA!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:02 pm
Miller, I'm more concerened about the cost of shipping when I buy Aussie wine. I tend to buy beer made in the Northeast and midwest to off-set my wine purchases which tend to be from Australia or Italy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:24 pm
I'm not a wine drinker, and not really a drinker of any description. But what I've heard is that Australian wines are good because the climate is very good for the grapes (at least where they're grown).
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:33 pm
A commentary on Australian wines by the well-known wine expert Eric Idle:

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: 8 bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:36 pm
I've not heard of Milton Park Wines either.
Mr Google gives us a website which doesn't work.
www.miltonparkwines.com

Plenty of good reds (some of the best in Australia) come out of the area around Adelaide, though - just look at dlowan's nose! (sorry -sore point there!) (oops - double sorry!!! Shocked )

Could be Barossa, McLaren Vale, or Coonawarra - I'm prepared to drink any of them with you (or without you...wait - I've already done that!)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 05:10 am
I found on the label

Produced and bottled by
Barossa Vintage Limited
Gawler Park Rd
Angaston SA

that tell you anything?

and MD20/20 is like 99 cents a pint screw top wine that is not scraping the bottom of the barrel but rather picking up the barrel and looking under it. Laughing Very popular among high school boys first learning to puke.... I mean drink.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:00 am
I found on the label

Produced and bottled by
Barossa Vintage Limited
Gawler Park Rd
Angaston SA

that tell you anything?

and MD20/20 is like 99 cents a pint screw top wine that is not scraping the bottom of the barrel but rather picking up the barrel and looking under it. Laughing Very popular among high school boys first learning to puke.... I mean drink.

Sounds like it is made by a big co op or something.....

Angaston is the Barossa all right, though.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:18 am
MD20/20 + bottle of car door

or vocatspiss

Yarra Valley eats Barrossa for breakfast.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:38 am
so are they known for making good wines? Mediocre? I really like this Shiraz I'm drinking (not right this minute)

help me out you guys....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:41 am
so are they known for making good wines? Mediocre? I really like this Shiraz I'm drinking (not right this minute)

help me out you guys....

We've never heard of them, we told you!

I am thinking it is some sort of brand used by a big winery purely for overseas sales?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:48 am
The lable is not associated with a particular winery and/or area.

My guess is that several winerys and or vinyards have grouped together in order to produce the volume of product that is required to enter the international market.

It is conceivable that grapes/juice are transported from several major and or minor wine growing areas and blended to create the wine you are drinking.

Give me a day or so and I will make some enquiries.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:58 am
Milton Park a 3 staged winery development, designed to crush up to 4000 tonnes of grapes per annum by 2005. No ancillary uses, apart from the warehouse are envisaged in the near future.
The proposed winery will be sited in a valley. The design and siting of the building is unlikely to detract from the landscape character of the surrounds and locality. The winery will be seen from Lindsay Park Road, approximately 400m away. Existing farm buildings are between the road and winery. Proposed landscaping will break up the appearance of the built form, the front building being the warehouse clad in light green colourbonded material.
Address is Gawler Park Road.

The winery is probably targeted solely at the export market which is why wwe have never heard of the lable. There are litereally 1000s of small to medium vinyards in australia each producing their own lables. Some bottle a portion of their own grapes and sell the rest to a larger winer

None of this should impact on your enjoyment of the wine. drink what yoy like and like what you drink. Go out and buy a dozen and celler them.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:47 am
thank you dadpad for that helpful answer. much more accomodating than that ill tempered coney. Sad

Should I then assume that a lot of the Australian wine I buy... meaning everyday priced from say 10 to 20 dollars is probably produced by grapes from several small wineries? That's interesting.

Yellow Tail make a really nice Reisling for under 10. Is Yellow Tail known by name in Australia? They're pretty popular here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
thank you dadpad for that helpful answer. much more accomodating than that ill tempered coney. Sad

Should I then assume that a lot of the Australian wine I buy... meaning everyday priced from say 10 to 20 dollars is probably produced by grapes from several small wineries? That's interesting.

Yellow Tail make a really nice Reisling for under 10. Is Yellow Tail known by name in Australia? They're pretty popular here.

Yes, it is a known brand here.

I like their chardonnay.

And don't piss on my ear and tell me it's raining.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:09 am
I couldn't possibly fill an ear that huge... wouldn't even try.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:10 am
I couldn't possibly fill an ear that huge... wouldn't even try.....haven't tried their chardonnay... but I will on your recommendation... allowing for and forgiving your vicious dispositiion....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 08:19 am
Sales of Ozzie wine in the UK, now exceed those of the French wines. I LOVE Ozzie wine, and the most popular one here seems to be Hardy's (Shiraz, Cabernet etc).

Ozzie wine, IMO, makes most French wines taste as if they've been watered down.

Oh, and IMO it is better than Californian, which is saying something.
0 Replies