[REQ] The answers to "What nationality are you?"

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Which is the best answer to "What nationality are you?"

A. I am from Germany.
B. I am a German.
C. I am German. (German here is an adjective.)

Thank you for your help! Smile Very Happy Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 748 • Replies: 5
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:02 pm
C
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:45 am
Thank you for your response, mac11! Very Happy

Could someone else provide your opinion on this question? I need more people's initial responses to this question. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:01 am
I might say, "My family originally comes from Germany".

I think that it may be a little different in the US, than most anywhere else. Unless you are a Native American (your ancestors lived in what was to become the US, before the Europeans colonized the area). Most Americans had ancestors that came from somewhere else. I would expect that a person whose European ancestry goes back many generations would not call himself a German-American, simply an American.

Someone might say though, that he is of German extraction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:35 am
I would pick "A" because you specified nationality. Someone could be German and not be from Germany--that, after all, was the dodge the Nazis used over the Sudetenland (part of Czechoslovakia which they claimed was populated by Germans who were being discriminated against).

But, to complicate it further, if another American, knowing by my behavior and accent that i am also an American, asks me what nationality i am, i would say Irish, because they would--to me--obviously mean not whether or not i'm an American, but what my ethnic background were. If an Irishman, or anyone in Ireland asked me that, i'd say i'm an American--other English-speakers cannot readily distinguish Americans from Canadians by accent, and i know they don't consider me Irish because i wasn't born there.

Can i confuse the issue further?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:21 am
not much set but I'm sure if you post again you will give it a good shot
0 Replies