Ann Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:57 am
Ann Coulter Attacks 9/11 Widows, Matt Lauer Thanks Her for the 'Fun' of It
By E&P Staff
Published: June 06, 2006 3:00 PM ET

NEW YORK Syndicated columnist and author Ann Coulter appeared on the Today Show on Tuesday, promoting a new book. Host Matt Lauer asked her to explain certain remarks in the book aimed at activist 9/11 widows, including her charge that they were nothing but celebrity-seeking "broads" who are "enjoying" their husbands' deaths.

After she defended these statements, he closed by saying, "always fun to have you here."

The transcript follows, and then a response from 9/11 widows.

LAUER: Do you believe everything in the book or do you put some things in there just to cater to your base?

ANN: No, of course I believe everything.

LAUER: On the 9-11 widows, an in particular a group that had been critical of the administration: "These self-obsessed women seem genuinely unaware that 9-11 was an attack on our nation and acted like as if the terrorist attack only happened to them. They believe the entire country was required to marinate in their exquisite personal agony. Apparently, denouncing Bush was part of the closure process."

And this part is the part I really need to talk to you about: "These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefparrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's death so much." Because they dare to speak out?

COULTER: To speak out using the fact they are widows. This is the left's doctrine of infallibility. If they have a point to make about the 9-11 commission, about how to fight the war on terrorism, how about sending in somebody we are allowed to respond to. No. No. No. We have to respond to someone who had a family member die. Because then if we respond, oh you are questioning their authenticity.

LAUER: So grieve but grieve quietly?

COULTER: No, the story is an attack on the nation. That requires a foreign policy response.

LAUER: By the way, they also criticized the Clinton administration.

COULTER: Not the ones I am talking about. No, no, no.

LAUER: Yeah they have.

COULTER: Oh no, no, no, no, no. They were cutting commercials for Kerry. They were using their grief to make a political point while preventing anyone from responding.

LAUER: So if you lose a husband, you no longer have the right to have a political point of view?

COULTER: No, but don't use the fact that you lost a husband as the basis for being able to talk about, while preventing people from responding. Let Matt Lauer make the point. Let Bill Clinton make the point. Don't put up someone I am not allowed to respond to without questioning the authenticity of their grief.

LAUER: Well apparently you are allowed to respond to them.

COULTER: Yeah, I did....That is the point of liberal infallibility. Of putting up Cindy Sheehan, of putting out these widows, of putting out Joe Wilson. No, no, no. You can't respond. It's their doctrine of infallibility. Have someone else make the argument then.

LAUER: What I'm saying is I don't think they have ever told you, you can't respond.

COULTER: Look, you are getting testy with me.

LAUER: No. I think it's a dramatic statement. "These broads are millionaires stalked by stalked by grief-parazzies"? "I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much"?

COULTER: Yes, they are all over the news.

LAUER: The book is called "Godless: The Church of Liberalism." Ann Coulter, always fun to have you here.

Statement by five 9/11 Widows:

We did not choose to become widowed on September 11, 2001. The attack, which tore our families apart and destroyed our former lives, caused us to ask some serious questions regarding the systems that our country has in place to protect its citizens. Through our constant research, we came to learn how the protocols were supposed to have worked. Thus, we asked for an independent commission to investigate the loopholes which obviously existed and allowed us to be so utterly vulnerable to terrorists. Our only motivation ever was to make our Nation safer. Could we learn from this tragedy so that it would not be repeated?

We are forced to respond to Ms. Coulter's accusations to set the record straight because we have been slandered.

Contrary to Ms. Coulter's statements, there was no joy in watching men that we loved burn alive. There was no happiness in telling our children that their fathers were never coming home again. We adored these men and miss them every day.

It is in their honor and memory, that we will once again refocus the Nation's attention to the real issues at hand: our lack of security, leadership and progress in the five years since 9/11.

We are continuously reminded that we are still a nation at risk. Therefore, the following is a partial list of areas still desperately in need of attention and public outcry. We should continuously be holding the feet of our elected officials to the fire to fix these shortcomings.

1. Homeland Security Funding based on risk. Inattention to this area causes police officers, firefighters and other emergency/first responder personnel to be ill equipped in emergencies. Fixing this will save lives on the day of the next attack.

2. Intelligence Community Oversight. Without proper oversight, there exists no one joint, bicameral intelligence panel with power to both authorize and appropriate funding for intelligence activities. Without such funding we are unable to capitalize on all intelligence community resources and abilities to thwart potential terrorist attacks. Fixing this will save lives on the day of the next attack.

3. Transportation Security. There has been no concerted effort to harden mass transportation security. Our planes, buses, subways, and railways remain under-protected and highly vulnerable. These are all identifiable soft targets of potential terrorist attack. The terror attacks in Spain and London attest to this fact. Fixing our transportation systems may save lives on the day of the next attack.

4. Information Sharing among Intelligence Agencies. Information sharing among intelligence agencies has not improved since 9/11. The attacks on 9/11 could have been prevented had information been shared among intelligence agencies. On the day of the next attack, more lives may be saved if our intelligence agencies work together.

5. Loose Nukes. A concerted effort has not been made to secure the thousands of loose nukes scattered around the world - particularly in the former Soviet Union. Securing these loose nukes could make it less likely for a terrorist group to use this method in an attack, thereby saving lives.

6. Security at Chemical Plants, Nuclear Plants, Ports. We must, as a nation, secure these known and identifiable soft targets of Terrorism. Doing so will save many lives.

7. Border Security. We continue to have porous borders and INS and Customs systems in shambles. We need a concerted effort to integrate our border security into the larger national security apparatus.

8. Civil Liberties Oversight Board. Given the President's NSA Surveillance Program and the re-instatement of the Patriot Act, this Nation is in dire need of a Civil Liberties Oversight Board to insure that a proper balance is found between national security versus the protection of our constitutional rights.

(signed)
September 11th Advocates

Kristen Breitweiser
Patty Casazza
Monica Gabrielle
Mindy Kleinberg
Lorie Van Auken
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 40,269 • Replies: 1,001
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:13 am
Ann Coulter is one scary, millionaire, celebrity seeking broad.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:22 am
boomerang wrote:
Ann Coulter is one scary, millionaire, celebrity seeking broad.

And so classy with it.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:22 am
This off topic but dont that Coulter have one enourmous Adam's Apple for a woman? Just an observation.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:05 am
blueflame, I noticed that too. She really reminds me of Jeffrey Jones, who played the principal in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ed Rooney.

She is right about those wives however. They are just one more gaggle of liberals glad to take advantage of death if they can twist it into Bush's fault. They campaigned hard for Kerry, all the while representing themselves as impartial victims. We saw through it, of course, and the Frenchman lost by 3 million votes. There are millions of liberals in this country who pray, or wish, for misfortune for others here and in Iraq so that their lust for Bush's scalp can be sated. Despicable.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
paull - nice post. Very well said and so true.

John Francois Kerry. Hee.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:13 am
Statement of September 11th Advocates Response to "Godless"

Statement of September 11th Advocates
Response to "Godless"

We did not choose to become widowed on September 11, 2001. The attack, which tore our families apart and destroyed our former lives, caused us to ask some serious questions regarding the systems that our country has in place to protect its citizens. Through our constant research, we came to learn how the protocols were supposed to have worked. Thus, we asked for an independent commission to investigate the loopholes which obviously existed and allowed us to be so utterly vulnerable to terrorists. Our only motivation ever was to make our Nation safer. Could we learn from this tragedy so that it would not be repeated?

We are forced to respond to Ms. Coulter's accusations to set the record straight because we have been slandered.

Contrary to Ms. Coulter's statements, there was no joy in watching men that we loved burn alive. There was no happiness in telling our children that their fathers were never coming home again. We adored these men and miss them every day.

It is in their honor and memory, that we will once again refocus the Nation's attention to the real issues at hand: our lack of security, leadership and progress in the five years since 9/11.

We are continuously reminded that we are still a nation at risk. Therefore, the following is a partial list of areas still desperately in need of attention and public outcry. We should continuously be holding the feet of our elected officials to the fire to fix these shortcomings.

1. Homeland Security Funding based on risk. Inattention to this area causes police officers, firefighters and other emergency/first responder personnel to be ill equipped in emergencies. Fixing this will save lives on the day of the next attack.

2. Intelligence Community Oversight. Without proper oversight, there exists no one joint, bicameral intelligence panel with power to both authorize and appropriate funding for intelligence activities. Without such funding we are unable to capitalize on all intelligence community resources and abilities to thwart potential terrorist attacks. Fixing this will save lives on the day of the next attack.

3. Transportation Security. There has been no concerted effort to harden mass transportation security. Our planes, buses, subways, and railways remain under-protected and highly vulnerable. These are all identifiable soft targets of potential terrorist attack. The terror attacks in Spain and London attest to this fact. Fixing our transportation systems may save lives on the day of the next attack.

4. Information Sharing among Intelligence Agencies. Information sharing among intelligence agencies has not improved since 9/11. The attacks on 9/11 could have been prevented had information been shared among intelligence agencies. On the day of the next attack, more lives may be saved if our intelligence agencies work together.

5. Loose Nukes. A concerted effort has not been made to secure the thousands of loose nukes scattered around the world - particularly in the former Soviet Union. Securing these loose nukes could make it less likely for a terrorist group to use this method in an attack, thereby saving lives.

6. Security at Chemical Plants, Nuclear Plants, Ports. We must, as a nation, secure these known and identifiable soft targets of Terrorism. Doing so will save many lives.

7. Border Security. We continue to have porous borders and INS and Customs systems in shambles. We need a concerted effort to integrate our border security into the larger national security apparatus.

8. Civil Liberties Oversight Board. Given the President's NSA Surveillance Program and the re-instatement of the Patriot Act, this Nation is in dire need of a Civil Liberties Oversight Board to insure that a proper balance is found between national security versus the protection of our constitutional rights.

###

September 11th Advocates
Kristen Breitweiser
Patty Casazza
Monica Gabrielle
Mindy Kleinberg
Lorie Van Auken
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 10:25 am
Ann Coulter is a despicable (I hate to use the word woman) human being...
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
She is a very special brand of assh*le, thatCoutier.

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/6338/crazybitch2da.gif

For those of you with a strong stomach, you'll find the "discussion" in the www.freerepublic.com forums to be particularly shameful:

Free Republic forum "discussion" (link)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:20 pm
She is a whore. That's all that needs to be said about her.

Whore, whore, whore.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:26 pm
Ann Coulter is an outstanding example of the current state of the republican party. I believe she would make Barry Goldwater vomit.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:32 pm
Ann Coulter is shameless, as this episode proves.

Political commentary for mouth breathers. All 9/11 widows supported Kerry? Really?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:33 pm
You guys should buy and read her books.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
You guys should buy and read her books.

We have as many Coulter books in out home libraries as you do Chomsky.
For the same reason.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:47 pm
Not for the same reason at all; I don't own Coulter books because she is a hateful, spite-filled bitch.

McG doesn't own Chomsky because he disagrees with the author's premises. Totally different.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:50 pm
Why buy her books when her foolishness is so available free of charge? Selling books is what she's all about--I'm convinced her outrageousness is just a marketing gambit...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 02:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not for the same reason at all; I don't own Coulter books because she is a hateful, spite-filled bitch.

McG doesn't own Chomsky because he disagrees with the author's premises. Totally different.

Cycloptichorn

I would hypothesize that McG would contend that Chomsky is a hateful, spite filled bastard.
Any critic of American foreign policy is quintessentially anti-American, and therefore hateful and spite-filled...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:19 am
Ann Coulter pulls this kind of sh*t every time she publishes a new book. She is nothing but a hate monger for cash.---BBB

Hillary Clinton Joins in Denouncing Ann Coulter
Published: June 07, 2006 5:50 PM ET
E & P NEW YORK

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton lashed out at Ann Coulter for a "vicious, mean-spirited attack" on a group of outspoken 9/11 widows, whom the right-wing television pundit described as "self-obsessed" and enjoying their husbands' deaths.

Coulter writes in a new book, "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," that a group of New Jersey widows whose husbands perished in the World Trade Center act "as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them."

She also wrote, "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much."

Clinton, who has felt Coulter's wrath over the years, responded angrily on Wednesday.

"Perhaps her book should have been called 'Heartless,'" the senator said. "I know a lot of the widows and family members who lost loved ones on 9/11. They never wanted to be a member of a group that is defined by the tragedy of what happened."

The New York Democrat and former first lady said she found it "unimaginable that anyone in the public eye could launch a vicious, mean-spirited attack on people whom I've known over the last four and a half years to be concerned deeply about the safety and security of our country."

The senator spoke after delivering a speech on protecting children from exposure to sex- and violence-saturated media.

Coulter appeared Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show, and reiterated her stance, saying the women used their grief "to make a political point."

Her criticism was aimed at four New Jersey women whom she dubbed "The Witches of East Brunswick," after the town where two of them live.

They have spent the years since the 2001 terror attacks supporting an independent commission to examine government failures before the attack, and in the 2004 presidential campaign they endorsed Democrat John Kerry.

The women are Kristen Breitweiser, Lorie Van Auken, Mindy Kleinberg and Patty Casazza of New Jersey.

The women, who are still pushing for changes in how the government guards against future attacks, issued a joint statement after Coulter's television appearance.

"We have been slandered. Contrary to Ms. Coulters statements, there was no joy in watching men that we loved burn alive. There was no happiness in telling our children that their fathers were never coming home again. We adored these men and miss them every day," the women said.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:21 am
I find Ann Coulter to be a repulsive horse faced c*nt . Just my opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
It neat to see how all of you can be so easily be manipulated. Coulter has done her job fantastically well.
0 Replies