A city's nickname

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 01:46 am
I hav e heard that Nw York city has a nickname called "the Big Apple".
Is that ture?
Why it is called that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 508 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:22 am
Why is New York City Called "The Big Apple"

Quote:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:00 am
Many other cities have nicknames, as well. Boston is often called "Bean Town," because it is (or once was) famous for fish cakes and beans for breakfast. Chicago is called the Windy City--that is no mystery for those who have been there. It is on the shore of Lake Michigan, and there is often a strong, on-shore breeze. New Orleans has long been known as "The Big Easy"--implying that life there is easy. That was before the hurricanes, of course. Los Angeles is often called "City of the Angels"--that's a no-brainer, because los angeles is Spanish for "the angels."

People who drive trucks--over-the-road transports--in the United States use such names for cities when they communicate by radio, which is common. For example, San Francisco is called "Shakey Town" because of the association of San Francisco with earthquakes. A small city in Ohio is called Circleville, so the truckers call it "Round Town."

I'm sure many people in the United States could provide quite a few other examples.
0 Replies

10000kbps

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:15 am
Oh!!! So many words!
Thank you all very much! Very Happy
0 Replies